Reverse Loop - How to without another store bought gizmo?

Started by OkieRick, March 03, 2009, 11:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

I was watching my EZ Command Controller DVD today and saw the box you seem to have to buy to have a reversing loop in a layout.

The more I see & read the more complicated and expensive things seem to get.  Is there a wiring way around the reverse loop so there won't be a short in the track?

Thanks-
Rick
-
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Nigel

Yes, you can use DPDT switch, and wire the reversing loop as you would in DC - the problem is that you have to be very careful to set the switch correctly EVERY time.

An autoreverser is pretty inexpensive for what it does, and the hassles it save.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

pdlethbridge

Gadget toms sells them for about $25. Other places and other brands may be lower but I've had good success with the digitrax unit from gadget toms

jward

if you have a situation where the reversing section is entered and exited through the same switch only. such as the tail track to a wye, you can use the contacts on your switch motor if it has them, and a snap relay if not. the idea is that when the switch throws to let you enter, the relay or contacts align the track polarity. and when you throw the switch to let yourself out, the contacts align the polarity with the main track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA