News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help! Repair of HO 2-6-6-2 loco

Started by conordavid, March 08, 2009, 10:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conordavid

Hi, I have purchased a 2-6-6-2 loco, and part of the front gear box assembly seems to have become detached (I have the part). In the instruction booklet the part is listed as 00W03. Any ideas on how best to attach it to the motion and then back into the cylinder? I should be grateful for any advice!
Mark 

SteamGene

I'm not sure of your problem.  "...seems to have come detatched"? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

conordavid

By became detached I mean it appears  to have fallen off during delivery. The part slides into the cylinder, but how to do this while attaching it to the motion has me beat! My eyesight is not what is was.

HO-Ron

Is this the Exhaust pistion rod??? If so, I can tell you how to do it, but you won't like it...  :)
Regards, Ron

conordavid

It rather sounds like it. The part is the small piston that slides into the tp section of the cylinder, and is also attached to the motion gear. Go on, tell me the worst.....
Regards,
Mark

HO-Ron

Mark,

First things first. Make sure that the piston rod is not bent.
Understand that the piston rod has to be put in the cylinder hole before you can attach it to the motion rods.
On the motion rod there is a very small (has to be, right) hole where the straight rod comes from the rod hanger.
The piston rod has two nipples on it. One long and one short. The longer one goes into the motion rod at the joint.
Then the motion rod with the pistion rod attached goes into the clevis attached to the exhaust piston. There are two small holes in this clevis. That is where the nipples on the piston rod go.
Check for this lash up on the other side of the engine to get an idea of what you are trying to do.
You will probably have to wear you magnifier to do this and use a small clamping tweezer to hold the motion rod to get into the clevis.
Give a shot and let us know how you make out. Took me about 30 minutes to get it done....  :-[

Rgs, HO-Ron
Regards, Ron