News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring Question

Started by BestSnowman, March 09, 2009, 10:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

I'm a little bit new to model railroading, the last time I had a set I was significantly younger and my dad did my wiring (ahh memories). I'm wordering if it is neccesary to run power to different sections of the track by soldering wire to rail joiners. I'm running a slightly modified version of the layout used in this kit: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1175 with a bachmann dc power pack. I just have it hooked up to a rerailer.

I haven't noticed any slow spots with my EMD F9 (from a bachmann challenger set) but am wondering if I should still wire it up. I'm planning on eventually upgrading to DCC (probably the Bachmann EZ-DCC) if I can convince my wife when we get our tax refund. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to wiring it up this way when I upgrade to DCC?
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

BIG BEAR

Welcome aboard,
   I have never had a problem with power, but some will tell you to put a wire every 6 ft. of track. I did (just for precautions) put in another terminal/re-railer when I went over 30 ft of track. I used this as a road crossing & ran the wire under the road.
   I am not currently doing DCC so someone else will have to answer the second part for you.
       Enjoy,
             Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Nigel

With DCC, more feeders to the track, the better.  3ft between feeders is a reasonable compromise.

Use 14 guage for your buss wiring, then 6" or less of 22 or 24 guage for your feeders.  Soldering to the bottom of the rail joiners is okay, soldering to the sides to the rails provides better electrical contact.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

jowalmer

ok, I'll just pass along something that was shared with me when I had a wiring question which big bear shares below.  You can add additional rerailer/terminals.  Power supply to one side of the first rerailer/terminal then from the other side of the first, run a set of wires to one side of a second rerailer/terminal, and so on.  This is what I am using on my temporary layout and works fine. 

I do plan on doing the wiring right (bus and feeders) as soon as I stop buying train stuff and buy some wood for a more permanent layout.

I purchased the EZ Command and it works fine though I wish it had CV programming (did I just use the term 'CV' for the first time, does that mean I'm hooked??)

WGL

This is a timely discussion for me.

I was powering 3 ovals with my 5 amp EZ Command booster connected to a terminal rerailer on the outer oval.  With much help from YampaBob, I've set up a terminal strip, connected the booster to it & feeders to terminal rerailers on my outer & inner track.  My middle track has no terminal rerailer, so I must figure out how to connect a feeder to it.  Since I have PowerLoc track, I need adapters for a Bachmann terminal rerailer, which must be evened up on the other side of the oval.   ???

Yampa Bob

There is a misconception that DCC simplifies the wiring of the layout.  As Nigel mentioned, just the opposite is true. Of course you eliminate the need for blocks unless you want them. For a large layout, I still recommend breaking it up into blocks for easier troubleshooting. Just leave all the blocks turned on.

For a DC layout, a few voltage skips and losses here or there aren't that critical. However DCC decoders need a constant flow of power. The slightest interruption, caused by poor joints or dirty track, can cause the decoder to lose its address. I know, I've had it happen.

As mentioned, for HO a center fed 14 gauge primary bus, with 16 or 18 gauge secondary bus to within 6" or a foot from the final feeder connection, will keep your decoders happy. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jward

wow bob, you think like i do.....

my old layout was designed for dc, and when i converted to dcc i left the dc wiring in place. the block switches were worth their weight in gold because whenever i had a problem i could easily isloate it without shutting the whole railroad down. it flies in the face of all the conventional wisdom about dcc simplifying things, but it is true. dcc often uses blocks, they simply call them power districts.

about the only concession i made to dcc was to eventually rewire the layout using heavier wire, 18 guage replaced 22 guage.

i would also recommend, since dcc is much more finicky about momentary interruptions in power supply, having feeders to the track no more than 6 feet apart. in dcc, redundancy is a good thing.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BestSnowman

Thanks for all of the advice, now I just have to get my table built and I'll be ready to start wiring.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog