http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

ThomasLloydGuy

thanks, also thinking of investing in a dcc system instead of dual cab wiring

Daylight4449

I am doing that now after 6 years of dc railroading

Joe Satnik

Dear TLG,

Nice looking drawing. 

Sure beats my pencil scratching on the back of an old envelope.

A few things, though: 

There is not enough room between the 18" and 22" radius for another track, as you will get overhang crashes.

NMRA recommends 2-3/16" between track centers beginning at 18"R.

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

With a 96" width, you will need a duck-under and a pop-up hatch to access tracks in the middle.

(John Armstrong recommends 30" max reach in his book "Track Planning for realistic operation, 3rd edition".)

That works out to a 60" width with a solid sheet (no pop-ups.)

You've got room for much longer radius curves with 96" board width.  Why 22"R max?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ThomasLloydGuy

joe your comment is very helpfull, the reasoni though id use small radius' is so i could have more straight track, but ill mess around with a few ideas using bigger radius', thanks

ThomasLloydGuy

so do you think i should increase the track centers from 2" to 2.25"?

ThomasLloydGuy

so after a bit of though would it be good to redisign this with 2 1/4 between tracks and curves starting at 22" instead of 18". think this would work well?

NelsOn-30

Some observations;

Reconfiguring the turnout at 8 across & 3+4 down would provide a double main line around the outside loop.

I couldn't find a reverse loop but be aware that the 2 TT lead tracks are of oposite polarity.

My other observations have been covered.

Keep us posted.
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

ThomasLloydGuy

which turnout do you mean when you say "8 across & 3+4 down"? I know there is a different polarity for 1 of the lines going into the turn table but i though i might control the turn table with 1 of my old dc controllers if its possible.
Also with the concern about me using a 18" radius, i am only running small 4 axle engines, no steam engines, would 18" radius still look good or should i try to upgrade to 22"

NelsOn-30

Left hand side, 3 &4ft from top.

If this turnout came from the "inside" loop you would end up with a double track "oval" around the perimiter.

This would enable the unattended running of 2 trains, if desired, while operating within the engine terminal.
Nelson

ThomasLloydGuy

i dont know how well you can see the picture but there is a double track around the perimeter, just the inside track turn into the center but it still makes a double oval

ThomasLloydGuy

but i do see on the right hand side about 3 feet down i could add turnouts and then there is a double oval and the bit in the center

*sorry about all the double posting*

NelsOn-30

Thomas

Sorry, my dyslexia is showing, it is on the other left (right) side.
Nelson

Joe Satnik

Nelson,

Good catch on the polarity. 

TLG,

The Atlas turntable has "A" polarity and "B" (opposite) polarity stall or lead-in tracks. 

One of your lead-in tracks has to be an "A", the other a "B".

The "compass" or "clock face" or "rotation" position of the motor-gear house determines which polarity your lead-in or stall will be. 

The house takes up 45 degrees (3 stalls worth) of space.  Since your lead-in tracks are 45 degrees apart, the house will not fit between them.  (Opposite polarities on either side of the house.)

You will have to move the stall track at 2:30 o'clock to 12:30 and put the house between 2 and 4.  This should put an "A" polarity at 8:45 and a "B" polarity at 7:15.

The gear house would then be close to your roundhouse (if you plan to have one).  You could move another stall track counter-clockwise to make more room between them.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.