News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BLI Hudson-motor stopped running.

Started by r.cprmier, March 25, 2007, 07:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

One of my BLI Hudsons stopped running today, as quick as that!  By switching locomotives and tenders I verified that it was not the decoder, but is probably in the motor.  I further took my VOM and checked the two outside terms on the male side of that connecting system and got inf. res; whereas I got continuity at the other two prs.  This to me, further indicates the problem to be in the motor; possibly a loose wire, etc.

Now comes the sixty-four dollar question...

Has anyone had any experience with pulling the engine superstructure from the drive, as far as progression goes?  I would rather have feedback before I start in, than just jump on in half-cocked and screw up something that doesn't need screwing up!  Also, I can't see sending the engine back to BLI if it is something as straightfoward as what I  believe it is, as they propbably have enough real work to do.  Help will be greatly appreciated.

Rich

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Nigel

Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Atlantic Central

I believe it was Charles Kettering of General Motors fame who said "parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems". An idea now lost in the digital control age.

I with Nigel, call BLI.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

OK; coming from two guys I respect, that is good advice.  I'll do it.
Thanks, guys.

Rich
Rich

Jim Banner

Quote from: atlanticcentral on March 25, 2007, 08:26:09 PM
I believe it was Charles Kettering of General Motors fame who said "parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems". An idea now lost in the digital control age.
Sheldon
As Rich has already determined that it is not a decoder problem, I fail to see the relevance of your quote to digital control.  I suspect Rich's problem is more likely related to a failled wire or a stuck brush.  Would you have BLI leave out the wiring and the motor brushes to keep them from causing problems?

A telephone call is cheap and they may have an instant fix.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Atlantic Central

Jim,

My point was simply that EVERYTHING is more complex today and if I could get the experiance of someone already familar with it, I would.

I have disassembed a number of these newer locos, and sucessfully repaired or reassembled them. But I don't do it on a whim any more like in the old days. I have more interesting aspects of modeling to persue. And if it is still under warranty, or the mfr will repair/replace it cheap, its headed right back, to Bachmann, BLI, or whomever. Especially for anything beyond simple externial ajustments.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

Sheldon and all;
I contacted BLI and spoke to Bob Armitage (that name?... familiar...) and I am going to send the locomotive to him.  Like you, I assume it is a broken lead, stuck brush, etc, something simple.  In my trade, I have a thesis:  the simpler the problem is, the more hell it raises with an operation.  The upside is that it is usually an easy fix.

I'll send it back probably tomorrow.  Again; thanks to all for their feedback.

Rich
Rich