News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 Won`t run.

Started by Buildy, March 19, 2009, 12:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buildy

I just received my MPA 4-6-0. I set it up and was breaking it in. Everything was fine,many starts and stops and changes of direction as recommended, until I made a stop and it just won`t do anything. The light is off.
Track and power are fine,another engine runs without any trouble.

Are there any simple things to check,I really don`t want to have to send it in right away.

Buildy

Well,

I  had lunch,then went back down to try again. I put her in an engine cradle and checked the rods,etc. They were fine. The light came back on when I re-railed. Still wouldn`t run,however. Then I grasped the boiler and rocked it back and forth and it started running again. Apparently something(wiper?) wasn`t making contact,I guess. This was the engine,not the tender, where the problem seemed to be.
If anyone has advice on what to look for,I`d be grateful. This is my first steam engine,all my others are diesels.

Just so I didn`t want to have everything on a bad note,I really like this engine,it is a gem of a model.
Bachmann,I`m always ready for more Ma &Pa items.
Next on my list is the 4-4-0.

morrisf

Make sure the plugs from the tender wires are pushed all the way (fully seated) into the mating connectors under the cab.

It's obviously an electrical problem. Take something like a toothpick and very carefully probe around the locomotive wheels, contacts and connectors until it jumps or otherwise moves. That'll pintpoint the problem and most-likely it is very easy to resolve.

You're correct...it'll probably take less effort to solve the problem than to return the locomotive to the servce department.

Buildy

Thanks,

I`m pretty sure I have the plugs down all the way,as I read before about that problem.
I did have to open the tender and push the wire bundle in some as the wires were too long.

It is still intermitantly going dead only after a stop. If I try to give it power it just sits with the light on but won`t run until I jiggle the boiler around.Some times it takes a while of jiggling before it jumps to life.

I am on straight DC power (MRC).

Will the pulse setting cause harm???

OkieRick

Is it a Bachmann DCC Onboard or been converted to DCC or DCC with sound?

I added Tsunami sound to a 2-10-2 Light steam.  Default for the Tsunami is DCC only.  CV29 needs changed to 6 to get Dual Mode or DC / DCC.  That was after the Sound addon.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Buildy

This one is DCC Ready-no decoder on board.

It was from the Perfect Spot on e-bay-factory sealed-I don`t know  how old it is though.

I lightly oiled the side rods,etc,but I don`t know how to remove the boiler to check gear train lube condition.

Michigan Railfan

Well, I had the same problem as you with my first steam, but mine was in a set. It was a very nice set, the Overland Limited set. After a while of running, it just stopped. I (over) oiled it, but it still would'nt work. After a while, I figured out the problem. The third set of driving wheels from the front was stuck. I jiggled them, and after that it worked fine. Although I still have to do that every now and then. Try that, and if it does'nt work, I have no clue.

richG

Quote from: Buildy on March 19, 2009, 11:23:58 PM
This one is DCC Ready-no decoder on board.

It was from the Perfect Spot on e-bay-factory sealed-I don`t know  how old it is though.

I lightly oiled the side rods,etc,but I don`t know how to remove the boiler to check gear train lube condition.

Check the rods near the cylinders also. Be careful when putting back together.

Rich

Buildy

Rich,

Thanks for the photos. That helps me.

One question,if you have to lube the gears on the axles,do you remove a cover over the axles. I am afraid of messing up the valve gear if I go too far with dis-assembly. I a m not the watchmaker type if you get what  I mean.

To Indiana Jones,that is what seemed to be up with mine. I had to move the boiler side to side and then it would suddenly take off.

Then I went to work,came home and tried it last night and this AM and it ran fine with no more conking out.

Jim Banner

If the headlight is on, the locomotive is picking up power from the rails.

The power from the rails goes to the tender via the two pin plug.  It returns to the locomotive via the four pin plug.  Two of the pins in the four pin plug carry headlight power.  The other two pins of the four pin plug carry motor power. 

If the headlight is on and the motor starts up when you move the boiler side to side, the most likely electrical problem is a bad connection in or around the four pin plug.  Next time your locomotive stalls, gently wiggle the wires to the four pin plug with a tooth pick and see what happens.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.