News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

modification peco turnouts

Started by ken black, March 25, 2007, 07:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken black

I read the modification on the web for peco turnouts but Iam not sure what they want you to do with the power wires you attach to the frog.Can someone help with this thanks Ken

Atlantic Central

Ken,

As discussed in the the other post, the frog, and any sections of rail attacthed to it electricly, need to have their polarity changed when the turnout is thrown.

This happens automaticly until you cut the closure rails to isolate the frog. If you make that modification, than you need electrical contact on the switch machine to direct  the correct polarity of power to the frog.

Several of the good books out their on wiring basics have this covered in detail.

I am still curious as to what prompted this conversion to peco?

Sheldon

Nigel

Hi Ken;

I would suggest that you do NOT do the modifications listed.  As noted on the website, those are a last resort. 

Just make sure that you have gaps or insulated joiners slightly past the frog as shown in illustration 3 on this page:
http://www.loystoys.com/peco/about-electrofrog.html
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Atlantic Central

I agree with Nigel on this point, if you are using PECO's and don't need the modification, don't do it. Just insulate past the frog and supply power feeders as needed.

Sheldon

ken black

Thanks for all the help I have it all working now .I had to add power feed because of my reverse loop.I am going to peco because my swich machines are under the table and peco works better for me in this case. Ken

r.cprmier

The Peco machine is good in its application, but you can get more out of-say-a Tortoise or the like, if for no other reason, than for the contact switching feature.
I have been using Peco for a while in conjunction with others, such as Atlas; and have to date, had no problems.  For use with Tortiose, I simply remove the spring, and install it. 

Oh, by the way, that idea about using velcro for the tortoise machines is excellent! 

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!