News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spell Checker

Started by boomertom, March 12, 2009, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomertom

I have discovered an easy way to spell check postings that may be of interest to others.

If you are comfortable with switching back and forth between windows, you can open your word processor such as Word and compose messages there, spell check, copy and switch back to the Bachmann window and paste
into the message.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

richG

Yeah, I have been doing that for five years. Works very well.

I use Open Office though.

Open Office is a free download nearly equivalent to Microsoft Office for those of you who cannot afford MS Office. It handles Word documents just fine.

Rich

SteamGene

Unfortunately, those who need it the most won't bother.  adn they ain't nuttin i kan due bout caplization.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

bevernie

;DGREETINGS!! :o While you are at it, there are lots of other GRAMMATICAL errors that are used by those who, seemingly, should be of age to well above the age that one would have had such covered in an English class!
    For example, when "was" follows "if" or "wish", making it "future tense", it should become "were", but how many times have you read, in this forum, "If it was..." or I wish it was..."?? ???
    If we are going to get picky about spelling, unless it is to the point at which a point cannot be understood, let's really go all out and clean up the grammar and total "murder" of the English that is accomplished on this board!! >:(
                                                                                              THANX!!
                                                         8)                                     Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

SteamGene

Actually, Ernie, that's subjunctive mood - condition contrary to fact.   :D 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

bevernie

;DGREETINGS!! ;)My appologies, Gene! I mistakingly thought it was future perfect, but the point is still made and, hopefully, understood.
     :)While we are not all total masters of the English language, we can still be understood... usually.  ::)
     In college, one of my English Instructors told me that I was "comma happy", in that I used one every chance that I got, whether it was necessary or not! ??? That's probably still true today,,,,, though that was SEVERAL days ago!! ;)
                                                                                                THANX!!
                                                         8)                                       Ernie

James in FL

Don't fret about spelling or grammatical errors in your posts.
That is the resident "School Marm"s job.
Many of us come here just to see how tight his/ her panties can be wadded.
Too bad, so sad, he/she doesn't have bigger fish to fry in life.

Its entertainment.
It takes the edge off the day.

As long as someone can communicate in such a way as someone else can interpret, their post will generally receive a response.

No worries.

Guilford Guy

Maybe someone should speak up about smiley abuse...
Alex

Jim Banner

The spell check solution in one word:  Firefox
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

bevernie

;DGREETINGS!! ???CAN A SMILEY EVER BE ABUSED? If ABUSED, it no longer is a SMILEY, but a FROWNY!! :o                                                    :'(
     CAN THE USE OF A SMILEY EVER BE OVERDONE? :-\ Really, one would think that it would depend on who was cooking!! ;D
     Since mine would be, surely, a prejudiced opinion :P, I will leave the judgment of this matter to those with more aptitude than myself!
      :-*Perhaps Bob or Gene would at this time like to enter a comment?? ::)
                                                                                                    THANX!!
                                                               8)                                     Ernie

3rail

What do you know! We have a spell check feature built in and it was never turned on!

Seems to work fine, just click on the button at the bottom of the posting box before you click post.

Regards,

3rail

Pacific Northern

Quote from: 3rail on March 12, 2009, 10:32:25 PM
What do you know! We have a spell check feature built in and it was never turned on!

Seems to work fine, just click on the button at the bottom of the posting box before you click post.

Regards,

3rail

If only it was used.  Some of the posting on this board need a spell check, never mind trying to correct the grammar.
Pacific Northern

Santa Fe buff

Holy!
Man, I was getting so used to the buttons too...

I downloaded the Google Toolbar for this, and it was never on...

As GG said,
Smiley abuse is serious.  :) Get used too much, and suffers multi-usage syndrome.

Here's a demonstration:
:) :) :) :) :) :) ;) ;) ;) :D :D ;D :o 8) ??? :P :-[ :'( :-\ :-*

It does, in fact, get annoying at times!

;D

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

boomertom

Thanks for turning on the feature 3rd rail.
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

SteamGene

I'm reminded of the note sent from the Cavalry Division Commander to the Light Brigade Commander:  "Attack the guns to your front." 
Problem was that the guns the division commander saw were not the guns the brigade commander saw and the troopers were railroaded (obligatory railroad connection) into a disasterous and unnecesssary charge.
It is not the duty of the reader to figure out what the writer meant, unless the writer is James Joyce in which case who knows which track one may go down. 
Old timers still remember the "worn out track."   :D  (I think one smiley does the trick.)
Nice to see the activated spell check.  I hope it gets used.  Now for a capitalization check.....
Gene 
Chief Brass Hat