News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ribbed Back Wheels

Started by OkieRick, March 15, 2009, 09:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

Are / were ribbed back wheels ever put on prototypes?

If not, why are they made?

If they are / were, what purpose do they serve?

...jus curious...
Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

jward

yes, ribbed back wheels were used back during the steam era. the purpose of the ribs was to dissipate the heat generated by using the air brakes on the cars. they were phased out because the improved braking power of diesels made them obsolete.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

RAM

I did a google search and found the following.     Ribbed back wheels were prohibited from being installed on new cars after 1957. They were prohibited from interchange after 1970. The ribbed back wheel fell out of favor in the 20's and 30's when steel wheels became cheaper. The ribbed back wheels were chilled cast iron, which had great strength but was very brittle and could shatter. The ribs prevented the hot iron wheel from deforming as it was dunked in the cold water. Some say the ribs assisted in heat dissipation but I've never heard a definitive answer to that point.
Some could have been used after 1970 on MOW cars.

CNE Runner

Virtually all later 19th century rolling stock sported ribbed-back wheels. This means ribbed-backed wheels should be installed on any models such as the various Roundhouse old timer cars (Kadee and P2K produce this wheel). RAM: good research on the wheels as you are correct in saying the ribbing was for strength purposes and not for heat dissipation. Cast-iron wheels can become extremely brittle when exposed to sub-zero temperatures and cracked/failed wheels were common place in the 19th century.

Chilled cast-iron wheels have considerable ability to resist the wear that they are subjected to in service (cast-iron wheels do not). Essentially the major difference between cast-iron and chilled cast-iron is in the mould The rim or tread of the wheel consists of heavy cast-iron plug. The melted iron is poured into the wheel mould and comes in contact with this plug - which has the effect of chilling the hot iron. Ribbing is used, by the makers, to strengthen the wheel body and prevent warping during the cooling process...which can take several days.

As an aside, the Allen Paper Wheel was introduced in the late 1800s in an attempt to strengthen and quiet the wheel as it revolves as well as impart cold temperature/vibration strength. The body of this wheel was composed of highly compressed layers of paper-board sandwiched between a steel rim and hub. The Allen wheel was used predominantly under sleeping cars - although was not restricted to that class of car.

This information was taken from The American Railway (1897) which is a compilation of articles related to 19th century railroading.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

RAM

I think that the Allen paper wheel was interesting.   I think if you told some one you could passenger car wheels out of paper.  They would say you are nuts.  That what I thought the first time I heard it.   By the way I tried the spell check below.  It took me off the internet. 

CNE Runner

RAM: I am glad the Allen Paper Wheel interested you...just one of the many "different" experiments that were in vogue during the 19th and early 20th centuries. One could spend hours researching the evolution of the railroad car wheel, the long process of standardizing couplers (eventually deciding on the Jenney Automatic Coupler), and the adoption of whole train air brakes. I am fortunate to have amassed a sizeable collection of 19th century resource books that allow me to add some dimension, and historical common sense, to my layout. Of course the Internet is a resource of untold value in this regard.

BTW: I tried the spell checker and it worked flawlessly (I purposely misspelled a couple of words) and it did not take me off the Internet - or the Bachmann website. I wonder why that happened to you? We appreciate Bach Man's efforts in turning on this feature.

Well, the 9:10 milk run has just cleared the home signal; so I had better get out on the platform with his orders. I am glad I could be of service on both the ribbed-back wheels and the Allen variety...please feel free to call on me again with a late 1800's question.

Ray

Dr EMD

In high school (70's  ;D) we were shown a movie how chilled wheels were made. I think the ribs made the wheels stronger and were not really cooling fins.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

OkieRick

Will you guys forgive me for not being prototypical while I run my Steam Locomotives?   :o

Okie...who's never seen a ribbed back wheel in real life or on tv.
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Santa Fe buff

I'll forgive you.

I run a Daylight locomotive with a mix-match consist of frieght cars ranging from the 1930s-1990s.

If that's not prototypical; how about a Black and Green BN Northern?!

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

I have a picture of the Strasburg's Russian Decapod pulling a string of 100 ton covered hoppers to the single  online customer that Strasburg services.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

CNE Runner

I am not really sure what a couple of the posts above have to do with ribbed-back wheels BUT a point to consider is that you really can't see wheel backs when the cars are on the rails. Since I model the late 1880s, I am stuck running Roundhouse and older Bachmann Old Timer cars (no offense meant to either company as their cars serve their purpose). These cars are usually repainted, redecorated, distressed and weathered - as well as having their wheel sets changed to the metal variety ('has to do with physics and electro-static transfer). The price of metal wheels is about the same - whether they are ribbed or not so I choose to remain closer to the prototype (yes, I know Roundhouse cars are too long for 1889; but what's a guy to do?).

The bottom line is: do what makes you comfortable. If you are running anything but scratchbuilt or craftsman cars it really doesn't matter because wheel backs can't be seen. I would think that if you put uncounted hours in a car you would want to add the proper wheels. Now let's see....1889 branchline railroading: semaphores in the upper or lower quadrant....hmmmm.....

Ray