News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 2-8-0

Started by pjf, March 14, 2009, 08:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjf

Hello Mr Bach Man, 2 questions please.
I have purchased (with no returns) and just received my On30 2-8-0 loco. While opening the package I found a small note saying that this loco "not recommended for curves less than 22". I also purchased E-Z tracks but not received or set up, all 18" curves and turnouts.

Am I in to a big disappointment?

There is no warning or notice regarding this recommendation found on any advertising, descriptions, outside the box or write-ups on this engine anywhere.

Question 2, there are several extra detailing parts comes with this engine including a small amount of black sand like substance.

What is this and how is it used?
Peter

Tim

PJF

First you posted on the wrong board, should have been the 0n30 board.

Re: the 2-8-0, it will work reliably on 18" radius curves.  I am currrently
running two of them on 18" radius.  The front (pilot) coupler has a large
swing on 18" radius and may cause problems with short cars.  By short cars
I mean cars shorter than 20ft in length.  I have had no trouble with the Bachmann
freight cars.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

pjf

Hey Tim are you the posting police? LOL
p.s. I do appreciate your answer, thank you.
Peter

az2rail

The MSR [manufactures suggested radius] for this engine is 22", but they all over rate the radius to protect themselves. The engine will make it around tighter curves, but like Tim just said, you may have problems with some cars.

The 'sand" is accually coal. if you spray some diluted white glue onto your engines coal load, and sprinkle the dust on it, you will get a better looking coal load.

Manufactures do not put in on during manufacture because it would fall off during shipping.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

jestor

Tim, where was it first posted? I only saw the post on this (ON-30) board. ???                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Tim

Jestor

It was posted on the Williams board, 3Rail moved it here.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

jestor

Tim; Oh I see. Thanks. I guess we live and learn.  I'm not up on some of the acronyms used on the boards.......what does "LOL" mean? ???

Linzthom

LOL = laugh out loud   :) :) :) :)
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

SideTracked

PJF

Your 2-8-0 may be happier on 18-inch radius curves if you start and end them with easement sections (to simulate a spiral). Bachmann offers several different larger radius track sections.   

Pete
Are we having fun yet?

Tomcat

PJF,

right what Pete said - use a "transition curve" as we Railroaders say (I´m working for a big RR...), that may solve the problem. It´s that easy: If you use flexible track, start with more gentle curve radius before tighting it up to the 18inch you mentioned.

This issue was shown in several Model Railroader booklets, best try to google it....

Tom

Joe Satnik

Dear pjf,

Here is the pseudo-easement recipe for 18"R curves:

33-1/4"R-12 degree section leading into a
26"R-18 degree section leading into a
18"R curve.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

pjf

Thank you for all your great suggestions. Will try when I set up my tracks.
Peter