News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann NO 5 Wye turnout

Started by boomertom, March 20, 2009, 12:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomertom

Can anyone report on using the 44569 wye turnout in the construction of a turning wye (three point wye)?

I am curious howmuch additional space these require over the Atlas wye ?

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Joe Satnik

Dear BT,

Depends on what radius you want to go. 

A #5 regular turnout's RCR (radius of the closure rail)  matches well with 26" radius curves. 

Theoretically a #5 has a 11.4 degree departure angle on the divergent route, though I have seen that value called out at 12 degrees.

Call it 12 degrees for simpler math.  Half the #5 Wye frog would be 6 degrees.

So, a single leg of the Wye has to turn 90 degrees, 12 from the regular turnout, 6 from the Wye turnout, and the rest from curves. 

90 degrees - 12 degrees - 6 degrees = 72 degrees of curves.

Quite conveniently, (can't say for sure someone actually figured this out and/or planned it) the 26" radius curves come in 18 degree pieces.     

It just so happens that 4 x 18 degrees = 72 degrees, which is perfect to build a Wye. 

So, here's the recipe for the 2 curved legs of the Wye:

Right #5 turnout, divergent route.
four 26" R - 18 degree curves to the right.
#5 Wye left route.
Right route to
four 26" R - 18 degree curves to the right.
Left #5 turnout, divergent route.

I would need to know the dimensions of the 3 turnouts (R,L,Y) to figure the length of the straights for the main line between the R and L turnouts. 

You could assemble the curves and turnouts and experiment to find the straight lengths needed to fill the gap in the mainline route.   

Note that 2 pairs of insulated gaps or rail connectors would be needed.  You could put one pair in each of the curved legs.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

boomertom

Joe,

Helpful information. I would be turning  Clinchfield 4-6-6-4 and C&O 2-8-4s  this would seem to be visually a better solution than the Atlas wye.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Joe Satnik

Dear BT,

Wyes take up so much space.

The bachmann "T" shaped Wye that I just spec'd will be at least 54" wide, and perhaps as much as 60" wide. 

The Atlas Wye turnout is a #3, so it would take up less space than a #5 Bachmann. 

Also, in the Atlas layout catalog it looks as though they are using 3 Wye turnouts instead of one wye and 2 conventional turnouts. 

This equilateral triangle shape takes up even less space. 

Did you want to try a Wye configuration using three #5 Wye turnouts? 

60 - 6 - 6 = 48 degrees of turn for the curves..  18 + 18 + 12 = 48 degrees of curve.

So, you would need two 26"R - 18 degree curves, plus one 12 degree curve, for each of the three legs.

There is a 33-1/4"R - 12 degree curve, item # 44509.

For symmetry go 18, 12, 18 degrees on each of the 3 equal legs.

Two pairs of insulators are needed, one pair on each of two legs (not on your main route). 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

boomertom

I agree that wyes are space eaters, however, my prototypes, C&O and Clinchfield in Elkhorn City, KY used a wye. I am sure back in 1915 when it was built there was a good reason.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)