News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

AAR Type B trucks

Started by jward, March 16, 2009, 03:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

Has anybody tried using the AAR type B truck sideframes used on the RF16 sharks to model the GP30s and GP35s that used them? are they compatable? what modifications if any would be needed to use these on a GP30 or GP35?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

The AAR type B trucks used under the Baldwin Sharks were 9'-10" wheel base while the Blomberg B trucks used under GP-30s and GP-35s were only 9'-0" wheel base.  If both are modelled correctly, then they will not fit.  But it is possible that the trucks on your shark model are only 9'-0".  Sometimes manufacturers will do this to save having to make a new truck for a model when they can just swap side frames on an existing truck.  If your shark is a Tyco, you could be in luck (but check.)  You can find the same thing where a manufacturer used ARR type A trucks with the two axles 9' apart instead of the correct 8'.  In the simplest case, they would use a Blomberg B with the swing hangers knocked off to make a type A.

You might find the chart at the link below usefull:
http://www.hosam.com/emd/ewhb.html
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

30 years ago, i had modelled several gp35s with aar type b trucks from athearn units. the type b sideframes as used on the u boats were interchangeable with the blombergs under the emds. somebody also made sideframes of the more modern ge fb-2 truck, which also fit the athearns. so you could model later u boats on fb2s, and gp35s on type b's.

i was unaware of the difference in wheelbase between the type b's used under baldwins (with westinghouse motors) and alcos (wit ge motors).......
i believe all the gp30s and gp35s that rode on these trucks had alco trade ins, so maybe the baldwins longer wheelbase made them unusable?

thanks everybody for the replies. i learned something new to-day....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA