News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum GE Dash 8-40CW

Started by nematode, March 25, 2007, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nematode

I was thinking of getting this engine, I would like your opinions please.

How does it run

How is its details

How difficult is it to change the rapidos to Microscale, Red Caboose, or the new Bachmann dummy knucle coupler

I know in the product description section on this website it says "This locomotive performs best on E-Z Track® curves with a minimum radius of 19 inches" however
what about 11" radius, what about 11" with a 19" easement?

finally, does anybody have any information on LMS ROADNAME?

Thanks
Ed

ben_not_benny

Check this out:

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/c40-8cw.html

LMS stands for Locomotive Management Services, which is co-owned by General Electric and Conrail.

larryG

Quote from: nematode on March 25, 2007, 09:09:31 PM
I was thinking of getting this engine, I would like your opinions please.

How does it run

How is its details

How difficult is it to change the rapidos to Microscale, Red Caboose, or the new Bachmann dummy knucle coupler

I know in the product description section on this website it says "This locomotive performs best on E-Z Track® curves with a minimum radius of 19 inches" however
what about 11" radius, what about 11" with a 19" easement?

finally, does anybody have any information on LMS ROADNAME?

Thanks
Ed

Ed -
See Thread called N SCALE TRAIN SETS- Brian's  comments amount using the new Bachmann dummy coupler on Spectrum  GE Dash 8-40CW-

Bachmann' s answer to the knuckle coupler change out is their dummy coupler- NON- MAGNETIC and comes with no spare coupler springs.

Using the dummy coupler on the 8- 40CW caused the cars to be pulled off the track on curves. The coupler is body mounted not truck mounted and the coupler eithe uncouples or pulls the cars off the track.

The dummy knuckle coupler looks better than the old rapido they had on it but the rapido appears to have had more side to side movement, allowing the cars to stay on track.

I put the old rapido back on the 8-40CW .

Bachmann didn't do their homework with the new dummy couplers. I installed them on my rapido cars just to save some money- they are not magnetic and will not uncouple, also unless you have some extra springs , you 'll probably loose some springs chnaging out the rapidos.

I haven't tried the MT couplers on the 8-40CW - I think the MT'S will cost $10 plus, to do the change out and I dIdn't want to waste money on something that might not work.

Franz T

If you are talking about the current Spectrum Dash 8-40CW, (the one in the large clear plastic box, NOT the one that comes in the black/clear hinged box with the cardboard sleeve), the detail is excellent, both of the ones I have ran great right out of the box, no problem with the 11" curve I have on one branch line. Fairly easy conversion to MT's. I use 1015's for most conversions. Th only problem I found was the screw hole in the  pilot is too far back. I took out the B'mann coupler and box and tried to replace it with the MT, it hits the front of the truck. You could try to drill and tap a new hole or do what I did and simply ACC the coupler box in place.
Other than that minor problem, it is, in my not so humble opinion, an excellent locomotive, well worth the money

HTH,

Franz T

KenPortner

I have both the earlier version (which has the couplers mounted to the trucks) and the later version (body mount couplers).

Neither of mine run very well.   The later version especially is quite noisy.   I don't know if I just got unlucky or if this is characteristic of the model.   

Also, converting to knuckle couplers with the new version presents a slight problem because the front of the loco has a "plow" attachment which interferes with the coupler.  You'll either need a long shank coupler to make it work or need to remove the draft gear box and move it forward.   It wasn't an issue with the rear coupler, however. 

daniel_leavitt2000

Try this:

http://www.nscale.net/Reviews-index-req-showcontent-id-2.html

Update on my review. I eventually added bronze contacts on the frame. This helped transmit the current from the trucks better. They eventually proved to be too slow to run with any other brand of equiptment, so keep this in mind. I also repainted mine to match the Conrail engines more closely.

KenPortner

Could you explain how/where you added the contacts?

Train Nutz

Hi nermatode,
   I have both the older & newer models of the Spectrum Dash 8-40CW's. Both models I have originally had Rapidos on them. The older model had an open pilot on each end with the coupler mounted to the trucks. The newer model has an enclosed pilot with the coupler attached to the shell. The older model used a MicroTrains pilot conversion that required the modeler to cut off the couplers from the trucks, glue in the pilot provided into the openings on the loco and attach the MicroTrains coupler into the glued in pilot. The newer models have the pilot enclosed and you just have to remove the Rapido and mount a MicroTrain's coupler in place of it. (For more info on this, please read my posting for Dash 8-40CW coupler conversion) The older model has the fuel tank and shell screwed to the frame. The newer model is like the way that most manufacturers do is were the shell sits on the frame and is either held in by notches or a compress fit. The shell will easily lift off with no screws to have to remove as on the older model. Both models run about the same and take a lot of juice to get them moving. You won't how ever be able to lash either of these up with any other diesels made by anyone else as they don't run anywhere near the same speeds. You can run the Bachmann Dash 8's together if you like. Electrical pickup is designed better on the newer models but that doesn't mean the older ones are bad it just that the contacts are inside the shell instead of at the body concealed by the fuel tank on the newer model. I would suggest if you can to try a couple of Spectrum Dash 8's out first before you buy any and pick out the ones that run the best. This is always best to do no matter what brand you buy and then theirs no questions if their good runners or not. For your information you mentioned in your post.."Micorscale, Red Caboose and Bachmann dummy coupler". Microscale makes decals. Red Caboose makes freight cars with MicroTrains truck mounted couplers on them. Bachmann dummy couplers...well I never used them but why take the fun out of coupling and uncoupling with something that's fixed and doesn't function? Also I heard that these seem too stiff and derail the cars being pulled going around curves. Before using these dummys you might want to check into them before you put them on your locos and/or cars first.
                                               Train Nutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz