News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0's

Started by siemer, March 22, 2009, 03:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

siemer

Anyone know when we'll get an on-line image of the On30 4-6-0?

Frisco

I'm still wating for a picture of the painted unlettered with stripes.

siemer

Very nice stuff!  Thanks.

Royce Wilson

Was the boiler on the green version russian iron or black?

Royce Wilson

Dusten Barefoot

The boiler of the locomotive has always been a gun metal blue....close to black. Today at Tweetsie Railroad the boiler jacket is green for tourist colors. I would love to see #12 fully restored back to her original state as in the 30s look.
Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Royce Wilson

So was the boiler just paited gun metal blue or was it American iron similar to russian iron. I seem to have read somewhere that the crews polished them.

Thanks ::)
                                                                   Royce Wilson

ebtnut

OK--"Russia Iron"  is really a metal finishing technique.  It doesn't matter where the iron itself comes from.  IIRC, Russia iron was made by stacking the plates together with powered carbon in between and hammering the stack of metal.  The powdered carbon joined with the surface of the iron and gave it a polished sheen that resisted rusting.  The sheen could be anything from silver grey through light blue, probably depending on the grade of iron and/or any impurities in the carbon powder. 

Dusten Barefoot

The ET&WNC's 4-6-0 boilers were always a gun metal blue. Just like the pictures above. The boiler was never painted; not as i know of anyway. The boiler domes were painted black through out the career's of the 4-6-0s. The cab in the teens through early thirtys were black with ET&WNC underneath the cab windows, and underneath the lettering was the #. During the mid 30s the 4-6-0s got a new scheme. The one above in green is the new scheme they got. After Decemeber 7th 1941 The ten wheelers got a new coat of paint this time black and gold; from my understanding. Gold trim around the # in the middle of the black cab and gold lettering on the tender. Through out the whole time the boiler stayed gun metal blue ;D. The scheme of White and Black for #11 is correct other than the colors of the trim and lettering.

Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten