News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder Problems

Started by Homer5335, March 23, 2009, 12:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer5335

I have three HO GP40 Diesel Locos with DCC on Board. They run on DC just find, but I can't program them to run on DCC track. I have others that work find what am I doing wrong?
Homer

pdlethbridge

I've had problems like this to but changing CV's to factory defaults and giving the loco a new address solved the problem. Go here for more infomation.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf

Homer5335

I am using Bachmann Diesel on a "Digitrax Empire" system. Some of the trains run on setting 03 wright out of the box. These three can't read the address given to them.

jward

part of the problem is that for some reason, digitrax command stations do not like lenz based decoders like the ones in the bachmann locomotives. i have a digitrax zephyr which can read back cvs while on the programming track. it is hit or miss with programming lenz type decoders. i have tried the workaround solution of a 1k ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track but it is still hit or miss. other dcc systems don't seem to have this problem, and i now let a friend programmy bachmann locomotives for me.

the irony is that the nmra standards for dcc are based on the lenz system. why digitrax chose not to go that route is beyond me.

if i am not mistaken, 3 is the factory default address on a decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

Jeffery, my Zephyr was hit or miss reading Bachmann decoders until I wired the 1k resistor across my programming track.  I have a small toggle switch to turn it on or off as required.  I suspect my resistor had slightly oxidized leads and didn't always make good contact with the rails.  Now it works 100% of the time.

My Super Chief (DCS 200) has no problem reading or programming Bachmann decoders.  And my Empire Builder (DB150) programs them but of course will not read them (or any other decoder.)
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.