The Lye, Stihl and Djheet Rwy. (Layout updates)

Started by WoundedBear, March 17, 2009, 07:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robin

Sid,

Here is something to think about;  You mentioned a nearby studio room.  Would it be possible to run a spur or mainline through the wall and around a section of that room?  It's something a friend Fl did by running his double tracked main through a small bathroom at eye level (when sitting down).  I'm trying to figure out how to do something similar while dealing with doorway and stairs.

Robin

WoundedBear

Robin.....

Yes, I have considered using that room. I had always planned on having a "service track" running from my work desk to the layout. I was thinking of coming through the wall in the far NE of the layout. The way the basement is constructed, it should be easy to do.

Now that I think of it a little more, there is no reason I couldn't extend track into the studio and use it as my staging area. I was going to hide a staging loop under the logging area, but I like this better. Great idea! ;D

Now....how do I tell the wife?....Honey....after we stop at the Speed Shop (again) I need to go to the Hobby Shop (again). :-*

Sid

SteamGene

Bear - sorry I could never open your plan.  It looks good to me.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

WoundedBear

Thanks Gene....and everyone else.

I was a little apprehensive about showing the layout plan. I spent a lot of time reading just about everything I could get my hands on regarding track planning.

I tried hard to avoid the usual pitfalls that can creep into a design.

I kept all turnouts on the main at #6. I tried to keep the main from using the diverging route of a turnout as much as possible. I tried to keep at least 9" of straight run before any direction change. I was careful about access to all areas. I think I may have one switch in the southwest that may prove a little difficult to access (the split off to the mine stub).

With a lot of space to play in, it's easy to get lost in the proverbial spaghetti bowl.

After some of the positive comments I have received, I think I am on the right track, so to speak, and feel more confident about the new build.

Thanks guys. Always a pleasure to hear the opinions of more experienced modelers.

Sid

pdlethbridge

keep up the good work. Its a winner

Joe Satnik

Dear Sid,

Can you somehow show us where your track gap or insulative connector pairs (for reverse loops) are going to be?  (2 pairs needed per loop.)

Thanks.

One of my concerns is that the TT is connected to both ends of the turn around loop to the right of the TT.

The placement of the motor-gear housing around the TT determines where the polarity of the approach tracks change.  Tracks directly across from one another are naturally the opposite from one another (as viewed facing the center of the TT.)

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

WoundedBear

Joe......

I will admit to being at a disadvantage when it comes down to wiring.

I think this picture should show what I have planned, at least for the mill area loops. If I connect an AR-1 to both loops, and a third to the TT, I think I should be ok.

If not, please feel free to chime in.

Sid

Again, here's a direct link to the "bigger" picture.
http://members.shaw.ca/wbearart1/Models/GoldBarGaps01.jpg

pdlethbridge

If I were doing the wiring, I'd put the insulated gaps  on both tracks of the #6 left hand turnout just above the turntable and a gap on the #6 switch above it on the straight side. Leave gaps at the other 4 locations for block control if your using DC and DPDT switches. If your using DCC then the gaps would only be needed at the #6 turnouts by the turntable that I mentioned first. This puts the right lead to the turntable under the same control as the loop

WoundedBear

PD.....I am using DCC.

If I read you correctly, you want gaps in the places indicated by the black lines, right? But would I not also need to gap at the point marked with the red question mark over to the east of the mill? This is another connection into the mainline.

Sid

http://members.shaw.ca/wbearart1/Models/GoldBarGaps02.jpg

pdlethbridge

WoundedBear

No need to apologize for anything. I'm as confused as the next guy when it comes to this part of the project.

I hot linked your diagram into this post, PD......I think we have our gaps in the same places.  I can see how this would work better for longer trains as well. Thanks.

I will still need a reversing unit to power the turntable with, right?

Sid

pdlethbridge

try it this way and it shouldn't need one as the track on the right is part of a reverse circuit

jward

quick question: is that an atlas turntable? if so you may still need an autoreverse unit as the turntable rails automaticly change polarity about halfway through the rotation. you can use an ohm meter or continuity tester to check exactly where this occurs.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WoundedBear

Well.....the move into our new house is complete. Most of the mess has been contained....lol. I don't want to see another cardboard box for 20 years.....lol.

Got the old incandescent bulbs out of the basement ceiling and some nice bright fluorescent jobs put up. What a difference!

Now that I can see what I'm doing, or attempting to do, things should start progressing nicely. Need to put up a couple more lights in the studio then I can start buying lumber. It looks like I will be joining the two rooms by tunneling through the wall, and the studio tracks can serve as staging/reverse loop and a line to the workbench.

Updates to follow in a month or so.

Sid

pdlethbridge

If you add a auto reverser, it would be able to do the turntable and reverse loop with the gaps as shown