News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 White Pass pulling power

Started by redsrail, March 19, 2009, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsrail

I have read most of the posts about this subject. I know about the loose motor bolts, loose gear box bolts, motor burn outs, stripped gears, gears slipping on the axel, counter weights and connecting rod failure. My question is, how much will these engines will safely pull without damage?
I have the four Jackson sharp passenger set cars, which the engine has no problem pulling even on minor grades. With the engine disconnected and pulling the cars by hand they are very hard to pull, in fact 350 grams worth. I raised all the contacts on the wheels except the last two on the observation car, that keeps the drum lit, now my pull is 25 grams and I am shure poses no problem for the engine but I would like to have the lights . Any Suggestions

Danny Sheehan in Oz

I have a Deadwood Central 2-8-0, which on a level railroad recently hauled 44 Bachmann Gondola cars, no wheel slip, this is a very powerful machine.  But now shopped due to the tenter bogies disintergrating again, bad plastic!

Nathan

If you can find some of the LGB 67403 Ball Bearing Wheel Sets, the have power pick ups built in and do not create as much drag as the wiper type of power pick ups.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

No pickups, off brand (inexpensive) AA Alkaline (1.5V x 3 or 1.5V x 4) powered warm white LEDs painted yellow, undercarriage on/off switch.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=10245&p=2

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

altterrain

Aristo ball bearing wheel sets are similar to the LGBs. They have tabs that are easy to solder to. I have them on many of my passenger cars. I'm cheap though and only use 1 BB axle per car and link the cars together with JST connectors. No flicker at all with that set up.

-Brian
President of

jebouck

The 2-8-0 has a little tiny motor and a little tiny main drive gear when compared to the large robust K-27 and Mallet with their huge Pittman motors and good gears.
Use common sense.

Jon D. Miller

The CD&StL has owned a Connie since Dec. 2001.  With exception of one broken tender truck side frame the locomotive has been trouble free.

As a test, when new the Connie pulled 30 Bachmann reefers equipped with metal wheels. That was a one time deal. The Connie handled the consist with no problems or wheel slip.

Usually the locomotive will be assigned to a consist of between eight to twelve 1:20.3 freight cars.  No reason to overload the locomotive.

As a point of clarification, the K-27 has a Pittman motor.  The new Mallet does not use a Pittman motor.  The Mallet has twin Mabuchi motors.

The K-27 has phospher- bronze gears.  The gears in the Mallet look to be made of the same material.  So, as jebouck mentions the gears in both the K-27 and Mallet should be more robust. Time will tell.

Connie is a good locomotive, just don't overload it.  It will no doubt pull more than the gears are up to. 

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)