E-Z command and Walkaround-verses-2 Bachmann E-Z Command Digital Command Control

Started by e4indy, March 26, 2007, 08:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e4indy

I have a Bachmann E-Z Command Digital Command Control System.  Works great.  I want to add another controller.  I fell into another E-Z Command Digital Command Control System.  Is there a way to connect the two, or do I HAVE to purchase a Walkaround unit.  Thanks.

Jim Banner

There is a way to do what you want, but it is probably not cost effective.  That way would be to use an MRC device often referred to as a "Y-adapter" plus a booster.   Although these MRC devices have not been manufactured for 10 years or so, they occasionally turn up on eBay.  The outputs of the command stations connect to the two inputs of the adapter.  The signals from one command station feed right through.  The signals from the other command station are modified within the adapter by having 10 added to their addresses.  The output of the adapter is low level and must be connected to the tracks through a booster.  This arrangement would allow one operator to control up to 18 locomotives, all of which must have decoders.  Nine locomotives would be controlled by one E-Z Command Control Center and nine more by the other E-Z Command Control Center.  I have not tried this with E-Z Command system but I did use it at one time with MRC Command 2000 command stations which have outputs virtually identical to the E-Z Command.  And the output of the adapter would work with the NMRA compliant input of the Bachman booster.

Using an E-Z Command Walk-Around Companion would work a little differently.  Both it and the E-Z Command Control Center would control the same 9 or 10 locomotives.  This is a better arrangement if you want two operators running the railroad.  This arrangement does not require a booster unless you want to run more locomotives than the E-Z Command Control Center can power at one time.

Of the two choices, I believe the Walk-Around Companion is cheaper than a booster plus an adapter (if you can find one.)  One thing you cannot do is connect two E-Z Command Control Centers to the same track at the same time.  This will not work and might even damage your equipment.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jason54

That is correct you can't in any way hook them to the same track. How ever if you know about cab control you can run two circles one on each conroler and hook them together or each contoler to half the layout or so however in any case you must have an electical break in between the controler via plastic rail joiners or a verry small break in the line.

e4indy

Quote from: Jim Banner on March 26, 2007, 10:37:56 AM
Using an E-Z Command Walk-Around Companion would work a little differently.  Both it and the E-Z Command Control Center would control the same 9 or 10 locomotives.  This is a better arrangement if you want two operators running the railroad.

You hit the nail on the head.  Essentially two operators controlling the same 9 or 10 engines.  Since the Walk Around Companion seemed to 'just' plug in the I/O port of the E-Z Command Control Center, I didn't know if there was a way to snip the lead track wires on the second E-Z Command Control Center I have, terminate them in an end that the I/O port would accept, and be done.

Evidently not, or not without consequence.

Nigel

Quote from: jason54 on March 26, 2007, 04:16:39 PM
That is correct you can't in any way hook them to the same track. How ever if you know about cab control you can run two circles one on each conroler and hook them together or each contoler to half the layout or so however in any case you must have an electical break in between the controler via plastic rail joiners or a verry small break in the line.

And if a locomotive or metal wheeled car bridges the gap; you have TWO fried DCC systems.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955