What HO scale Figures of people and animals is everyone using on their layouts?

Started by Robertj668, March 22, 2009, 04:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

Thanks for the input Jeff...I'll have to check out these figures. Actually, during the late 1800s - and really into the beginning of the 20th century, no one would consider taking a train trip without wearing their best clothes. I probably could have a couple of these figures decorating the station or the downtown area.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

SteamGene

Ray,
Consider the difference in "best clothes"  between J. Pierpont Morgan and his most newly hired janitor.  Best clothes may not be frock coat or hoop skirt.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on March 25, 2009, 03:56:07 PM
Thanks for the input Jeff...I'll have to check out these figures. Actually, during the late 1800s - and really into the beginning of the 20th century, no one would consider taking a train trip without wearing their best clothes. I probably could have a couple of these figures decorating the station or the downtown area.

Ray

That's exactly what I was thinking.  ;)

You could try scouting eBay for "Edwardians." That's where I got most of my figures, both the folks in winter clothes and otherwise.

I'm sure Gene is correct, but on the other hand, J.P. Morgan's janitor probably didn't have much time, opportunity, or resources for travel, either.  ;)

Jeff

Terry Toenges

I've seen lots of "cowboys" on trains. At least in the movies, anyway. :D
Feel like a Mogul.

CNE Runner

Terry - cowboys were pretty rare in upstate NY...outside of the occasional circus or wild west show. I have numerous pictures of the late 1800s and people wore pretty simple clothes. Of course almost everyone sported suspenders and a hat and ladies wore full-length skirts. The dandies used to wait at popular trolley stops so they could catch a glimpse of a lady's ankle as she boarded the tram...ah, simpler times.

Happy trails partner,
Ray

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on March 26, 2009, 08:35:06 PM
Terry - cowboys were pretty rare in upstate NY...outside of the occasional circus or wild west show. I have numerous pictures of the late 1800s and people wore pretty simple clothes. Of course almost everyone sported suspenders and a hat and ladies wore full-length skirts. The dandies used to wait at popular trolley stops so they could catch a glimpse of a lady's ankle as she boarded the tram...ah, simpler times.

Happy trails partner,
Ray

Surely you're not speaking from personal experience. ...  :o  ;)

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Now what did I do?  Gee, I get blamed for everything. :D :D

I have a good alibi, I was asleep at the time.  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Yampa Bob on March 27, 2009, 04:46:48 PM
Now what did I do?  Gee, I get blamed for everything. :D :D

I have a good alibi, I was asleep at the time.  8)

I think you've been accused of having an eye for a well-turned female ankle.  ;)

Robertj668

Everyone
Wow I greatly appreciate everyones input. Thanks again! I would love to paint them myself but i just don't have the artistic ability. I like the idea of using the better brands in the high view areas and the lower one in the low vis areas.
Robert

SteamGene

No - old enough to be turned on by an exposed ankle as today a boy might be turned on by an exposed b-----.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

johnca51

Hi,
Have a look at http://www.trackdownunder.com.au/ thay have hand-painted and un-painted HO and N scale figures and animals at reasonable prices. They are here in Australia but given the US dollar is currently worth around $1.30AUD it is worth buying and paying the postage which would not be much on such a small item.
The Woodlands Scenics and Prieser figures are really expensive here and I have found these to be good value.
John from Aus
"On Top-Downunder"
Have been known to run of the rails occasionally.

CNE Runner

John - I tried the website you suggested and got to the page with OO/HO figures. The problem is nothing will open (that is to say one cannot actually see these figures). I tried several times and even turned my monitor upside-down to no avail. Is there a secret Australian code?

G'day,
Crocodile Ray

johnca51

G'day Ray,
No secret codes and no you don't have to turn your monitor upside down, but I do like your sense of humour though!!
Try clicking on Online Shop, then categories and then you should see photos of all the products. Then click on the people photo.
If you click on products I think it only shows a list, you have to go into Online shop to see the items.
Let me know how you go.
Regards
John from Aus
"On Top-Downunder"
Have been known to run of the rails occasionally.