News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine Wiring

Started by babarr62, March 26, 2007, 11:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babarr62

Does anyone have a diagram of the wiring of a Sante Fe engine? My sons tried  to fix ours. They took it apart and it works when we connect the transformer wires directly to it, but I can not figure out how to get the wires back where they were. I have a black one coming from the front wheels. A brown and yellow coming from the light. And a red coming from the motor on the back wheels. Then two silver pieces on the motor with screws.

Any information on where to put these wires would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Jim Banner

I am going to make some assumptions here.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

First, I assume your Santa Fe locomotive is a diesel painted in Santa Fe colours and not a Santa Fe type steam locomotive.

Second, I am going to assume it came with a Bachmann train set and was not purchased separately.  If it is from Bachmann, it will say BACHMANN on the bottom.

Third, I am going to assume the motor sits above the rear wheels and forms part of the rear truck (the truck is the whole part that holds the rear wheels, motor, etc. and turns as a unit as the locomotive goes around corners.)

And forth, I am going to assume it was wired like the Bachmann locomotive I have in my hand.  It is of similar design but painted in different colours.

If these are all true, then this is likely the case:

The silver tabs are the brush retainers for the motor.  I assume these are what you connected the power pack onto to make the motor run.  Each tab shoud have three wires connected to it.  One wire from each tab goes to the headlight.  One wire from each tab goes to the left front wheels.  One wire from each tab goes to the metal back wheels.  Note that the wheel wires from the front tab go to the right hand wheels and the wheel wires from the rear tab go to the left hand wheels.

If your locomotive is different, let us know and maybe someone else can compare it to their locomotive.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.