What Brand Turnouts for track on roadbed - NOT EZ Track

Started by OkieRick, March 22, 2009, 08:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

I'm not using EZ Track or any EZ track turnouts - just NS 80 together with turnouts and will be using NS 100 for my inner switch yard(s) turnouts.

I'm pondering on using a switch and accessory panel based on the one used by RickWilson - http://www.willnet.mine.nu:8083/images/misc/100_2118.jpg

Who makes good turnouts - who makes the best for less?  Any no-name brands that work good for less money than brand names?

Thanks-
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

SteamGene

I use Atlas #6.  If they had come out with their #8 before I started building my layout, my mainline turnouts would be #8s. 
They are the least expensive of the good turnouts.  Others swear by Peco and Shinahara.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

GN.2-6-8-0

We have around 200 turnout's on our club layout and chose no.6 & 8 Peco's and though yes their pricy so far they've been earning their keep delivering great performance and if theres a problem ( rarely) it was most likely was either a installation bugaboo or the most common problem .....junk between the points needing to be cleaned out  ;D
Rocky Lives

Jim Banner

The best turnouts for the lowest price are hand laid ones.

Other than those, you get what you pay for.  Shinohara are good but tend to be expensive.  Peco are a little cheaper and almost as good.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

I use Atlas new rivetless design, many improvements over previous models.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Do the new Atlas turnouts have welded jumpers or do they still rely on the plastic to keep the jumpers in contact with the rails?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

Hard to tell as the bottom is mostly covered, could be wrong but I think they are welded.  It's a totally new design, greatly improved. There is virtually no wheel drop or noise in the flangeway.  Other than that, I can't elaborate about the new features on the board.

CNE Runner

Peco...Peco...PECO!! I have used various manufacturer's turnouts over the years; and I have found Peco products to be just about bulletproof. They have sprung point rails that keep the contact between point and stock rails firm. If you go to a little more expense, the Electrofrog versions will allow any short wheelbased engines to operate without stalling. Yes, they are more expensive than some other brands (partly due to the $ verses the euro exchange); but are well worth the added cost in reliability.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Rangerover

Peco and they are great as is using their switch motor, purchase seperately. You can also remvove the spring in the Peco that locks the rail and install tortoise machines to operate them.

grumpy

I use the EZcommand track and the EZcommand remote turnouts operated with Atlas switches. I have had only one problem which was an installation problem. I am using 10 turnouts.
Don

jward

i agree that the handlaid ones are the cheapest. it isn't hard to make your own. in fact, my cost of materials is well under $5 apiece. if you intend on building a sizeable number of them, you might want to invest in a jig from fast tracks.

http://www.haldlaidtrack.com

even if you don't want to buy a jig from them, they have templates you can print out on their site wich take the guesswork out of building track.....

for ties, you can buy them precut, but i make mine from matchstick, which cost next to nothing
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

"Track on roadbed" could be interpreted as any standard track laid on a separate roadbed, whereas "Track with integrated roadbed" would be similar to EZ Track but also compatible.  :D 

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA