News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP 35 gettin the cab and body off help?

Started by clutch, March 26, 2007, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Just did a DCC conversion on a 4-8-4 UP Overland Express with no problem.
Getting ready to install decoder in a CSX GP 35 Diesel.
Now here is the (probley over looking something simple) question.
How do you get the Cab and body off the chassie. I can't find any screws holding it on. I pryed a little but I'm afraid I will brake something. Is there a trick to this or should I keep prying and hope nothing brakes.
Im doing this for my boy but I think Im catching the bug, I feel something bitting every time I mess with it.
Thanks for any help anyone can give me. If I brake the body my boy will never forgive me.
Thanks in adavance
Alvin Barned (Clutch)

tonycook1966

I think the Bachmann GP-35 is set up the same as the GP-30...

There are two philips screws that hold the fuel tank in place...remove them both and the fuel tank will come off.

Under or inside the fuel tank area will be another pair of phillips screws that hold the shell to the frame...remove them both and shell comes off the frame.

Be very careful with these screws as the shell's plastic is soft enough that you can easily destroy the threads for the screws and then have difficulty getting the shell and frame to stay together...so go easy with them.

Hope this info is correct!

:)
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
ho-scaletrains.net

clutch

I was wrong, I had the wrong Loco, the GP 35 does have the screws in the fuel tank. I looked the Loco I am refuring to up in the catalog.
As near as I can tell it is a GP 40 Santa Fe Road. It has a bit longer wheel base and the fuel tank is larger then the GP 35. There are no screws in the tank or the under frame other then the couplers.
Sorry to be miss leading in the first post but I am new to this, but I'm learing.
Does any one know if Bachmann sells the drawings with, assembly brake downs and BOM attached for there Locos.
Thanks Again
Alvin Barned (Clutch)

Nigel

Hi Alvin;

Depending on the vintage of your GP40, DCC conversion may not be practical.  If it does not have 8 wheel drive, buy one of the DCC equipped.

To verify that we are talking about a GP40, see:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=1196
Note the three cooling fans at the rear, the single dynamic brake fan in the middle, and the single rectangular exhaust stack further forward.

Trainworld and other suppliers have very good prices on these, and if you elect to install a different decoder, it is easy.

Even if you have an 8-wheel drive Bachmann GP40, you are most likely looking at some milling of the frame to fit things in.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

clutch

Nigel, Tony,
Thank you both for the information. It is a GP 40 Just found out that it was bought recently in a #00657 Rail King set.
I still am going to try the conversion I'll put the decoder in the cab or mill the frame if needed. (it's a small Bachmann 1 amp decoder)
Still need to know how to get the shell off, no visable screws under side.
Thanks
Clutch

LD303

the fuel tank should just pop off....gently pry it off with a small regular screwdriver and underneath there are 2 screws, remove them and the shell pops right off.

clutch

LD303,
Thanks for the info, I figured it would be simple, I didn't want to pry around to much and brake any plastic.
Thanks again
Clutch

LD303

whats that murphys law?  the simple things are always the hardest.....i have some locos that it seems like you need a degree in engineering to get them apart,  then you figure it out and say to yourself ''wow!!  thats was easy, why did it take me 2 hrs??!''  lol 
   glad i could help, hope you can get that decoder hooked up and working.