News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

having fun with an oval

Started by Andy Fekete, March 26, 2007, 05:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Fekete

i was just wondering how i could have fun with my current setup i have stopped playing with my trains for the time being because watching two trains going around an oval just does'nt appeal to me anymore this is what i have:
2 trains:
1.) a string of 5 steamlined coaches pulled by my BLI CNR hudson (my dcc system does'nt have enough power to run it faster than half speed)
2.) a 15 car freight train pulled by a B-MAN CNR 2-10-2
layout:
i have a large double-tracked oval with 2 crossovers to allow trains to switch tracks.
the layout is made out of e-z track and there is no backdrop for scene separation.
any help is greatly appreciated and i would also like to hear how YOU have fun with you trains when doing the same thing over and oer again gets boring.

Andy Fekete

you've been hit by...
you've been struck by...
a smooth criminal

Hamish K

I can't tell you how to have fun, we all get our fun in different ways!

However I have never built a layout like yours because I would consider operation too limited. I think you need to consider some additions, how about some factories, or warehouses etc. in the centre of the oval with spur tracks? Then you can spot cars, marshall trains and so on. I would acquire a small industrial swithcher (the 0-6-0t is nice if you can find one) to use as a short line loco, this can add to operational interest. Cars are dropped off by your mainline  freight train, picked up by the shunter, exchanged fo other cars at the factories etc. and then returned to be added to the main line freight.

Just one possibility.

Hamish

lanny

Hi Andy,

Hamish's comment is good. We all have different ways of enjoying the hobby of model railroading.

I have a 'reasonable size' layout (23' x 7') ... but not a 'well planned' one. However it meets my needs. It has reasonably large min. radius (30"-38") and has two mainlines (double track for part of the layout and then cross over and under each other).

I really enjoy relaxing by just sitting back and watching trains run at prototypical speeds ... which for me is usually, 'slow' :-)  Steam locomotives are fascinating to me ... the valve gear and drivers working ... and so I pretty much model steam and run my trains very slow.

At the same time, I am developing a couple of large yards ofr storage/staging and with industries so that I can do some switching, etc. while the mainlines keep busy with trains running, whenever I feel the urge to do some switching.

I'm not personally into serious 'train orders'/operations, etc. though I am envious of those who have that kind of layout and operation. Also, as to operating, I'm a 'loner' ... I like people, but I also just like to have a quiet place to sit for a little while and watch the valve gear and drivers of my Spectrum, BLI and IHCs slowly working upgrade 'pulling tonnage'.

Scenery is kind of important to me, but will be 'down the road. Frankly, I am totally 'blown away' by the level of scenery I have seen by modelers on this forum and in other places.

The most fun I am having right now is building 'craftsman' kits and kit bashing steam to resememble late steam on the ICRR.

As you often read on this forum ... whatever you do with model railroading, 'have fun'.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Terry Toenges

Andy,
How big is your layout?
Do you have room to expand inside/outside the ovals?
Is your track secured to the layout or can you rearrange it? Maybe a folded dogbone or an over and under?
Instead of just ovals, can you rearrange it something like the WGH configuration?
A few more turnouts will allow you to experiment a little.
Hamish's ideas are good.
Feel like a Mogul.

Andy Fekete

my layout is aproximately 11 x 5 foot oval and i have a little space to the left so i MIGHT be able to make a l shaped layout. there is a lot of space in the middle where i made a couple sidings i plan to turn this into a yard and add a roundhouse but i am VERY hesitant because my layout is on the carpet and is made of e-z track i think it would be better to start a modular layout instead of having my trains on the flood where people step on them this has already happened to my CNR spectrum 2-10-2 a familiy freind stepped on it it god obliterated so i replaced it. thanks for all the help so far hope this helps

you've been hit by...
you've been struck by...
a smooth criminal

Hamish K

Andy

Have you a scenario for your layout? What part of Canada is it set in and what sort of country e.g. urban?, prairie? You mention adding a roundhouse and yard, is this for a terminal or an intermediate depot?

I ask because I like intergrating operations into the design of a layout. For example if your scenario was a main line in prairie country passing through a middle sized town you could have long distance through trains (both passenger and freight, and local (terminating)  freight and passenger trains as well.  These would require turning the loco and some switching. I suggested adding a factory or something before, a prairie setting would indicate a grain terminal, so grain trains would be needed.  For other scenarios, adapt as appropriate. I like sequenced operations, that is drawing up a timetable of trains and operating them in order. I generally find this more satisfying than just running trains at random (although I do that sometimes). I don't however time my trains.

If you decide to move off the floor the design will obviously be different, but the approach could be the same, develop a scenario, run trains to suit and design the layout accordingly. If you have scenery this would reflect the scenario, but the scenario can be imagined and still provide a rationale for running the trains you choose.

As I said before, this is just  my approach, you may choose to do something entirely different.

Hamish

BIG BEAR

Andy,
      One thing I tried and liked, is to hide the train for a few seconds. Run it through a tunnel, or behind a mountain, or under a bridge. All these are effective ways to spice up an oval.
      My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter just loves to watch the trains head light as it comes out of the tunnel. she already knows how to control the
speed of the trains, and so far she's been pretty good at keeping it from tipping over even on the 18 inside loop.

Good luck
                        Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Jake

Quote from: Andy Fekete on March 27, 2007, 04:54:28 PM
my layout is aproximately 11 x 5 foot oval and i have a little space to the left so i MIGHT be able to make a l shaped layout. there is a lot of space in the middle where i made a couple sidings i plan to turn this into a yard and add a roundhouse but i am VERY hesitant because my layout is on the carpet and is made of e-z track i think it would be better to start a modular layout instead of having my trains on the flood where people step on them this has already happened to my CNR spectrum 2-10-2 a familiy freind stepped on it it god obliterated so i replaced it. thanks for all the help so far hope this helps

I can Draw Up an trackplan for you and upoad it tomorrow (4/8) and I would highly recomend you start up a modular layout, in the meantime I'l get to work on the plan.  ;D
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!