News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

'Ballasting' track

Started by robbs, March 29, 2009, 12:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbs

Alright so I've searched the forum and read up on the methods of properly ballasting track but am having the most difficult time carrying out the action myself. I just recently have returned to this wonderful hobby after about a 10 year break and never had a true layout but merely a train set on a 4x8 table with no roadbed and/or ballast.

So I ripped up all my old snap track, picked up some new code 100 flex track (I know, I know... 83 will be my next step), mapped out a simple double track oval, laid my cork roadbed, spiked down the new track, and have begun laying the medium ballast. But there lies the problem...

After searching through this forum on ballasting and uncovering a few old "Model Railroader" mags, I learned that the most popular way is to utilize 50/50 white glue and water mix with a drop of laundry detergent. Well the mixing went without incident and I poured the solvent into a spray bottle with the intention of spraying down the track/ballast then wiping the rails clean. So came problem #1: the "spray" of the spray bottle wouldn't work as the solution simply streamed out instead of a spray, so I scratched that idea and went the eye-dropper route and #2: when dropping the liquid onto the sloped edges of the tracks, it simply beaded up and rolled to the bottom of the ballast making for terrible looking track.

So now I'm sitting at my PC at a loss for what I can do as I'd like to complete what I started but am feeling pretty defeated.

Any help is appreciated and I apologize for writing a novel!

klrwhizkid

Add a few drops of dishwashing detergent to the glue/water mixture. This will break the surface tension of the water and allow it to soak into the ballast.  You may have to experiment with the quantity of soap.

Yampa Bob

Hi Robbs
Here's all the PDF instructions for Woodland Scenics products. There's even a video on ballasting.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/instructions.cfm

With most spray bottles, you can turn the nozzle from squirt to spray.

Enjoy
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Tylerf

To ensure the best soaking in without clumping I prefer to tale a hole other spray bottle filled with water and dish soap and completely soak the balast then go in with the eye dropper

robbs

Ah the pre-soak with just water and dishwasher liquid detergent solved my woes! Many thanks!

pdlethbridge

robbs

Thanks pdlethbridge! That is the best instruction for ballasting I've seen yet!

jward

i have never been able to have any luck with the dish detergent method either. i use the same 50-50 white glue-water mix as most people, but i presoak the ballast with rubbing alcohol  applied with an eyedropper. the glue is then applied from a glue bottle. the alcohol causes the glue to spread the way it should, and i flood the ballast until i can actually see the glue between the grains of ballast.

an alternate method, which works well for handlaid track, and will work for other track if you work quickly, is to paint the white glue and water mix directly onto the roadbed BEFORE you lay the track. once the track is down, you ballast before the glue dries. any touch up work can be done later by the first method i mentioned.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

lmackattack

1)after the track is nailed down/painted spread ballast across the track.
2)remove all ballast form top of ties by brushing away excess stone.
3)Tap rail with wooden spoon to vibrate the stone down into the track(also helps get stone of top of rail ties)
4) get a good spray bottle that will mist water over the track (the woodlands bottle is not good IMO)soak the stone so that the water weeps down to the road bed without a huge puddle.
5)50/50 mix white elmers glue (shake well and often)
6) drip the glue/water mix to the stone and let it weep into the ties. (it will look like a watery mess but dont worry!) after you cover the whole track aera with glue go back and look for any "dry spots" to add more glue. Use less stone and glue around switch tracks! it takes about 1/2 a day to dry and it will look like you made a huge mess wile drying. If you can increase air flow to the room to reduce curing time.

oh and dont forget to put a towel under the layout to catch the run off!!!

Trent

WoundedBear

I agree with Mr. Ward's method. Soaking with alcohol first, makes the task a whole lot easier.

Sid

jward

oh, one thing nobody has mentioned but is ALWAYS a good idea. make sure your track power is turned off, especially with dcc, which has power on the rails at all times. water & electricity don't play well together.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA