News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"Parking" a train

Started by AustinRon, March 30, 2009, 11:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinRon

Hi, New to hobbie. What track piece do I need to park a train on a side track? I thought the DCC turnout would stop the current to the side track. Oops.

pdlethbridge

A plastic rail joiner between the switch and the siding and a simple on/off switch to control the isolated rail section

AustinRon

Thanks. Does this sight sell the parts?

Tylerf

I don't believe bachmann sells electronic parts like that but somewhere like the source will. It's really simple just insert plastic joiners at each end of the siding on the SAME rail, then run a wire from that siding track to one side of the switch, and then run a wire on the otherside of the switch to either the right wire on the main track power wires or attch it directly to the track.

Jim Banner

If you are using DCC turnouts, then I assume you are using DCC to run your trains.  In that case, you do not need to shut off the track when you park the train unless the train has a dc locomotive or lighted passenger cars.  If only one or two of your locomotives are dc, then you might consider installing decoders in them rather than messing around with block switches.  Decoders can also be used to control passenger car lighting, including dimming the lights if you want to.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

if you are using dcc, you should be able to stop  the train and switch to another locomotive address. only the locomotive(s) currently addressed should move.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA