News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gadsden train show

Started by kevin2083, March 31, 2009, 03:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2083

I remember reading on this board late last night that there was a train show somewhere in north Alabama (Gadsen? maybe Guntersville?) coming up soon, but now I can't figure out where I read this. Can someone point me in the right direction, or better yet- provide some information about this. Shows around here are rare, so this would be great if I could make it to one for once.
I tried a google search, but didn't get anything current.

Kevin

BTW, I'm in Huntsville if that helps
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

CNE Runner

Hey Kevin - that was my post you read last night and, being a fellow Alabamian (Guntersville); I can give you the information you need. The train show is the Gadsden Model Railroad Show which will be held on Saturday, April 11 (9:00am - 4:00pm) at the Gadsden Convention Hall (I'll just bet you didn't know Gadsden even had a convention hall). The address is 344 South First Street, Gadsden, AL.

From Huntsville, take U.S. Highway 431 south into Gadsden. Immediately before you cross the bridge over the Coosa River take a right on U.S. 411. The first right-hand turn off 411 is Broad St. which goes up a short hill. At the top there is a traffic light...this is First Street (turn left). The Convention Center is on your left after you make the turn onto First Street. The Gadsden Model Railroad Club is very good about putting out lots of signs, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding the place. There is parking in front of the Center (good luck) and across the street.

This is our favorite show and we do quite well at it. Stop by and say "hi". We deal mainly in Lionel trains - but have a few HO things. As per show policy, I will be wearing a vendor's name badge. We hope to see you on April 11th. PS: it can get a little crazy because this has become a very popular show.

Ray O'Donnell
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Do you know about the trains.com "coming events" data base?

http://www.trains.com/trc/community/events/

Searchable through many parameters.

Ray, I was surprised to see that your show was not listed.

I think it's free to post, though at first glance this page doesn't show those details

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

CNE Runner

Good evening Joe. Yes, I am aware of the "coming events" on the trains.com website. I am not a member of the Gadsden Model Railroad Club...only a vendor at their show. If I remember, I will speak to the show organizer and alert him to the necessity of listing his show on the trains site.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I was answering Kevin's question; but am, in no way, connected to - or solely promoting - the Gadsden event.

Cheers,
Ray

kevin2083

Thank you very much Ray. I plan on being there, as long as I can keep the Jeep running. I'll be sure to stop by and say 'hi' to you. This is great because I haven't been able to make it to a train show in about 7 years. Looks to be about a 200 mile round trip, but I think it will be worth it.

I guess it would have helped to spell Gadsden right to get better Google results....whoops....

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Yampa Bob

I've never been to the state, but "Alabama" the band was my favorite group.

http://www.thealabamaband.com/bandbios.html
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jsmvmd

Dear Guys,

Many moons ago I remember it was mid-July close to UAB, and we were eating in a steamy restaurant , white tile floors, ceiling fans turning lazily, a hot plate of gumbo or dirty rice and a bowl of turtle soup, then saying, "Oh! My gosh!  We'll miss our flight!"

The ride to the airport was a twisting weaving fright.  Our friend, Peter, who was quite used to this was nonplussed.  He had done this many times.  His favorite time was in Munich, racing to the end of the gangway and literally jumping into space, pulling Rosalie by the hand, papers streaming from his briefcase.  He plopped in his seat with a satisfied grunt.  Rosalie was not so satisfied.

That is my last memory of Birmingham!

Best Wishes,

Jack

CNE Runner

Wow Kevin...driving 200 miles round trip to a train show is definitely dedication! I sincerely hope to see you there. Bob, Alabama is a wonderful group. I used to frequent a gym that Jeff Cook also used...'talked to him probably 3 times a week (as far as I know he lives in Guntersville - while the rest of the band hails from Fort Payne, AL). Alabama is definitely one of the South's best kept secrets and, with its favorable tax rate, is a good place to retire. As "state songs" go one can't beat "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd though. Jack - we don't get to Birmingham often and would rather frequent a little smaller city (Huntsville). My wife and I moved down from NY State and, while there are vast cultural differences, we love Alabama. The wheel is round, so you probably will come back to our beautiful state.

Cheers,
Ray

kevin2083

Here are some photos from the show......
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z250/kevin2083/Gadsden%20MR%20show%202009/

Sorry about all the blurry pictures- my camera likes to reset itself to having a 2.8 second shutter time. ??? Turned out to be a 162.8 mile drive, but I think it was worth it. I got some great deals on some things- like 2 SW9 shells, a roundhouse bulkhead flat, an Athearn covered hopper, and an OLD Athearn rotary snowplow kit for $1 each. I'll probably be there again next year.

And Ray, I think I talked to you, but I'm not sure. I asked a few people if you were there, but didn't get very useful responses. What table were you at?

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

CNE Runner

Darn it Kevin I was so looking forward to meeting you!! We were on the end of the second group of tables from the left side of the room (looking from the entrance). I featured a three-stall 1880s roundhouse, with opening doors that was a crowd hit, (such a "hit" that no one bought it). We had mostly Lionel items at that show and did quite well (what genius decided to have a train show, in Alabama, on Easter weekend?). If I were at my home computer (we are in NY RVing), I would put my picture on photobucket. Oh, my wife says I was wearing one of my signature Hawaiian shirts (it is said I have an uncanny resemblance to Robert Redford). BTW: the snickering you might be hearing is just Yampa Bob.

Kevin, thanks for making that very long drive and we'll look forward to seeing you at another show. I hear the Smokey City Rails Model Railroad Club is considering having another show in Birmingham during December. Should I find out it is a definite, I will post it here.

Cheers,
Ray