Main Menu

track length

Started by rubiranch, April 03, 2009, 09:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

Byron,

Thanks for the kind words.

Dear All,

Has anyone measured the Big Hauler 4-6-0 overhang on the cowcatcher and the back end of the roof lately? 

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

altterrain

and maybe some of us are just offering advice to avoid the mistakes we and our friends have made.  :-*
Another thing about the Bachmann track, since it is hollow it can be pretty noisy to run on.

-Brian
President of

Jon D. Miller

Bachmann 10-Wheeler over-hang when running on Bachmann supplied metal track.

Over-hang of cab is 2 3/8 inches measured from center line of track to outside edge of cab.  Look close and you can see just a little silver showing between the locomotive and tender.  That's the outside rail on the curve.

Over-hang of front pilot is 3 3/8 inches measured from center line of track to outside edge of pilot beam.

Since the discussion is about using Bachmann track I used their track to measure the overhang.  Obviously on curves of a greater radius the over-hang will be less.

rubiranch:  I have six sections of Bachmann curve, never used, that you can have.  It's not doing me any good.  If interested contact me by e-mail at jlsclw@aol.com with your mailing address and I'll send it right out.  No charge.

Also, if you think track noise would be a problem do what we use to do with Lionel trains running on a platform.  Place cork roadbead under the track to deaden the sound.  Most big box stores sell rolls of cork type material.  This material is thin and can be cut to fit under the ties.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Joe Satnik

Dear JD,

3-3/8" from center line of track it is.  An extra 1/8" for safety gives 3-1/2".

You are a scholar and a gentleman. 

Thanks a ton. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.