News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Increasing prices?

Started by Tomcat, April 08, 2009, 01:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomcat

Bach-man,

rumours here in Europe spoke of a coming price increase of approx. 25% for all Bachmann products. Is there anything true about this or is this just - rumour...?
(What I desparately hope)

Would be great if you could let us know - sure all those friends out there will be interested to hear about this. No question - your products are worth their price,
really more than just this...

Thank you so much.
Cheers, Tom :) :) :)

railtwister

Tom,

The usual time for Bachmann to announce price increases is shortly after the new year (which has already happened). Of course, if something should happen in the world economy at some other time during the year, such as a serious devaluing of the Euro, it may trigger price adjustments to compensate. Hopefully, this is just a rumor, since such a large price increase all at once would surely cripple sales, especially in today's uncertain economic climate. Only Bachmann can answer this question for sure, though...

regards,
Bill

El Loco

My LHS informed me the Bachmann 0n30 caboose has increased in price from his distributors to $65 a piece.  With every thing in the world wide markets going higher in price this was expected sooner or later.

renniks

One of the main UK suppliers has announced a 26% increase in prices of Bach On30. Probably mainly due to devaluation of the Pound against the Dollar.

Eric UK

railtwister

Quote from: El Loco on April 10, 2009, 06:37:31 PM
My LHS informed me the Bachmann 0n30 caboose has increased in price from his distributors to $65 a piece.  With every thing in the world wide markets going higher in price this was expected sooner or later.

E-L,

That's odd, since the caboose's list price is still $48, according to Walthers (who is usually on the cutting edge of any price increases from anyone in the business). Of course the "street" price is well below that, and the dealer's wholesale price is below that. Increasing the list price to $65 equates to better than a 35% increase, and for a distributor to charge $65 to a dealer is over the top. Either your LHS should find another distributor, or maybe you need to find another dealer!

Regards,
Bill

Tomcat

Eric,

that was one of the points I had picked up the rumours - NG trains has announced an in crease in their Bachmann pricing. But I´m not sure it this will be a generous tendency or just in the case Pound Sterling vs. $....

Cheers, Tom

El Loco

Sorry if  I implied  to spread any discomfort or false rumors :-[  I was told this by my LHS .  Perhaps it isn't the gospel, and should be taken as a rumor instead. BUT!!!! You can count on if the price changes  that dramatically, As a fact I personally wont be buying at that price but will save the extra $$$ for  San Juan kits instead or scratch building.

railtwister

It's not uncommon for a changing exchange rate to generate price increases in imported products, we see it here in the States almost every time the $ dips in the international market. However, what we seldom see here is prices that drop when the $ gets stronger! I wonder why that is? I suspect it's sort of a "they're already paying the price and still buying the product, so why make it any lower" mindset.

Bill

railtwister

Quote from: El Loco on April 11, 2009, 05:18:18 PM
Sorry if  I implied  to spread any discomfort or false rumors :-[  I was told this by my LHS .  Perhaps it isn't the gospel, and should be taken as a rumor instead. BUT!!!! You can count on if the price changes  that dramatically, As a fact I personally wont be buying at that price but will save the extra $$$ for  San Juan kits instead or scratch building.

Hi E-L,

Before you break the bank on San Juan kits (which are nice, except for their trucks), be sure to check out AMS boxcars & tankcars (boxcar link: <http://www.amstrains.com/AM52010.htm> ). Our LHS (Warrick Custom Hobbies) stocks these, and will break the sets of 4 into singles, so that you don't have to buy all four if you don't need them. They are very well done, and at $42.95 each, are competitive with Bachmann's list price, but I think Bachmann trucks might roll a bit better.

Regards,
Bill

El Loco

Thanks Bill! That would be a great back up source. ;) I ain't quite ready to jump ship or commit mutiny ;D    One thing I would like to see is some finer detail on the ladders no doubt. That is something I have thought about when looking at my current Bachmann equipment.  :-\

Tomcat

As Railtwister said:

The AMS Boxcars are already out (D&RGW Flying Grande, RGS, C&S  - we still wait for the Scenic Herald versions...) - take a closer look: They have everything prototypical-Ok, simplyfied brake gear, but nothing to be seen when you look from the side at them, they´re good runners and the only thing would be to paint the wheelset´s sides as they are shiny metal.

To me, since I run my equipment with Kadee 803/807 On3 couplers which have the prototypical size for D&RGW, there is one more point: Changing the couplers and/or adjusting the coupler height is a straightforward job. I would recomemnd to change the coupler springs (as they are very,very strong-they resist to couple when you approach the car to be coupled with a low speed...) for Kadees. Or-that´s what I did- change the coupler for Kadee 803 or 807 - they would even couple with Bachmann E-Z mate and Kadee No5 couplers. Look far better.

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

El Loco

Hey thanks Tom  ;) I recently purchased some KD 803's but I haven't tried them out yet. I assume you set the coupler height @ 0n3 standards? I have converted 95% of my couplers to KD#5's and have recently went through each older production car and lowered each one of them.
I would like to  give it a try building one of the latest kits though!

railtwister

Tomcat's right, I forgot to mention both the centering spring and the knuckle springs of the AMS couplers are way too stiff for proper operation (they may be too stiff for even G scale), even though the knuckle looks just like a Kadee. Replacing the springs with Kadee springs looks doable, otherwise, replace replace the whole coupler with a Kadee On3 coupler and you should be good to go. Keep in mind the AMS cars are bigger than the Bachmann (about 5 scale feet longer), so you might need longer sidings!

Regards, Bill