News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-4-2 Porter Mystery Continues

Started by SideTracked, April 10, 2009, 01:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SideTracked

My new Porter 0-4-2 just arrived and I have the same question that wilsonbrucea posted last September:
QuoteI just purchased the 0-4-2 Porter and want to know what a mystery part is that was packed with the loco.

The part is a rectangle of black styrene 1 1/8" x 1 3/4" with two holes in it and the part number M3259C cast on it.  This part does not appear anywhere on the exploded parts diagram.

What is part M3259C?
jmooney said he'd searched google with no luck.
And, peterherron opined that it may be the front of the fuel bunker, but the part is much too large for that, and it doesn't have any sort of finish.

I wonder if it's a template, gage or tool of some sort. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
Are we having fun yet?

HarryHotspur

Maybe it's a cover plate for the forthcoming decoder chip.   ;)

SideTracked

^ With it's size, the only place it can fit (unaltered) is the cab ceiling; but, the holes are wrong to accommodate the steam dome, and it's an awkward location for a decoder.
Are we having fun yet?

renniks

When the question was original asked no-one, including the Bach Man, had an answer. The thread just died.

Eric UK

SideTracked

Eric,

I was hoping that some information had surfaced in the past 6-months.

Pete
Are we having fun yet?

El Loco

I assume this part  is only found on the 0-4-2 Porter.

SideTracked

El Loco,

I don't think so. During my fruitless research, I recall a reference to the thing coming with another B'mann loco. That's what lead me to think it's a tool or gauge.
Now, I'm wondering if it's just packaging material to protect a chip (if shipped separately), but why would the chip not be installed?

The mystery continues,
Pete
Are we having fun yet?

El Loco

I could locate this part in my box ???