News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Crossover Track for DCC and DC Runs Together

Started by lwmlwm44, April 11, 2009, 09:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwmlwm44

Howdy............On my Bench I have 2 separate track runs DCC and DC.
There is one section on my bench where I have a need for the DC track to cross the DCC track and turn and come back again.   I can't elevate the one track over the other and was wondering why I couldn't use the Bachmann 90 degree EZ track crossover to accomplish this.  Since the crossover is designed to keep the engine from shorting the track out when it or the rolling stock cross on it, wouldn't it be possible to have one track for DCC and the other cross piece being able to handle the DC track with the DCC or DC sides remaining isolated from one another and not compromising each system.

Has anyone else combine DCC and DC runs along this line.

Larry

jward

i think a much better solution would be to convert the entire layout to run either dc or dcc with the flip of a switch. remember, if the two systems accidentally are shorted together their power outputs add. if your dc pack puts out 3 amps and your dcc 5 amps, there is enough power to weld wheels to the track, not to mention the damage to both of your control systems. Play it safe, it is not that hard to wire a dpdt switch to flip back and forth between the two.

remember, tiny shorts you don't notice when running on dc will trip circuit breakers on dcc.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rustyrails

Larry,
I have no experience with E-Z Track crossings...however, Atlas wiring diagrams make it clear that their crossings isolate the two routes.  In the interest of simplifying wiring, I suspect that Bachmann does the same thing.  I would test the isolation theory before making anything permanent.  The real danger here, as jward correctly notes, is the possiblity of a short.  DCC track voltage isn't that high, but the current can equal 1/3 to 1/2 the current available to a typical 15 amp household circuit.   A derailment at the crossover could be truely spectacular.  Good Luck.
Rusty

lwmlwm44

I have thought of the possibility of using electrical controls to switch tracks from DC to DCC and back again but don't really want to go that route.   Also I have quite a few regular DC engines (about 10) that are not practical tobe converted to DCC............cost, size of engines etc.   I also have 9 DCC engines on the bench.   I am wanting to be able to run both DC and DCC and with the way I want to lay out the trackwork there is an area where i have to cross the 2 tracks over one another.   Can't figure out a n alternative to using possibly a crosstrack.   As o the brand of crossing piece I am opened to..........using Bachmann is not set in stone and no objections to using Atlas.

larry

Chuck S

Hi Larry,

If you already have the crossover you can use an ohm meter to test for continuity.  If not, does anyone you know have the same type of crossover you can test?

Hope This Helps!

Chuck S

jward

the big problem here is not that the rails on the two routes through the crossing are not electrically seperate. they are i am 99% sure, as not having them seperate greatly complicates wiring the crossing. it wouldn't be EZ then would it?....lol

the problem, which was common on earlier makes of switches, is that there may not be enough insulation where the rails cross to keep the wheels from bridging the gap. like i said, this causes a momentary short which is not noticable on dc but wreaks havoc on dcc. and dc and dcc do not play well together.

this problem is not one that an ohmmeter will detect. the only sure way to detect it is to carefully watch the wheels of your trains as they slowly run through the crossing. if the wheels even LOOK like they are touching the metal rails on the opposing route, do NOT use the crossing unless you are running either all dc or all dcc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

lwmlwm44

THanks for all the replies and tips........gonna go back to the drawing board and see if I can figure out a different way to lay the tracks to keep from having to use any type of crossover piece.   Possibly a elevated area for the DC to cross over...............was not wanting to go that way since due to bench length my crossove height would only be about 3 in. above the bottom track..........would prefer a higher clearance but the bench length where the track runs is only about 12 feet and using a rise of 1 in. for every 4 feet comes out to 3 in.   I don't think my old cheap tyco and lionel ho engines can take much more of a grade than that and still be able to pull 6 cars or so.   Back to testing and the drawing board............will figure something out.

Hope everyone is having or had a nice Easter.

Larry

richG

Our club had a DC section and some one was running a DC loco. The other side was DCC and someone was running a diesel. The DCC person was gabbing and ran into the DC section with the front truck. Poof. We do not run any DC anymore.
Plan carefully.
You never know when Murphy will show up.

Rich