News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tortise Switch

Started by jesse, March 27, 2007, 10:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesse

I just read an article in the current issue of Model Railroad magazine about a 'Tortise Switch' manufactured by Circuitron.  Can someone please tell me what this switch is used for.  It is described as a 'slow motion' switch.  I doubt if I will need one but I am curious as to what it does.

Jesse
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Nigel

The Tortise is a switch MACHINE.  It is designed to move the points of a model railroad turnout.

The Tortise has a "stall" type DC motor, that is alway left on, which holds the points against the rail with a steady force.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

jesse

Thanks, Nigel.  That clears up my question.  I noticed in the article that the switch machine was placed in the center between the rails and had an acctuating lever.  It looks like the pilot engages the lever and causes the switch to throw.

Jesse

ebtbob

Jesse,

The Tortouise(sp?) switch machine is my favorite under the track mounted machine.   It is easy to install and the contact strip at the bottom allows you to use the machine to throw signals etc.
        I saw a neat trick to mount these machines.   First of all,   the directions are easy to follow and the only thing I do different is to drill a larger hole that you are instructed to do.    I use a half inch hole and that gives me plenty of fudge factor when positioning the machine.   
        Now the neat trick - put double faced tape on the bottom of the machine.   When you finally get the machine located where you want it,  simply press the machine to the bottom of the layout.  The tape will hole the machine in place so you can put the screws into the four corner tabs built into the machine.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jesse

Thanks, Bob.  I'll order a couple of the switch machines and get them installed.

Jesse

Hunt

All,
Spelling is Tortoise  and is made by Circuitron.

pdlethbridge

you might want to try these from switchmaster. We've had them on our layout for 15+ years and haven't replaced any yet.
http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/sm-home.html

r.cprmier

Bob;
Got a better one:  use Velcro@, seal the surface the tortoise will seat on, install the soft part of the velcro; to the machine base, attach the "loop" half.  This you can easily pull apart as long as you don't initially "hard press" the two halves.   Find the best place, then push down and if desired, screw the base down.  I dont', but that is because Iam lazy.
It works like gangbusters!!

Rich

Hey Hunt:  what is it?  Tortiose?...
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Hunt

Quote from: r.cprmier on March 31, 2007, 08:15:00 PM
Hey Hunt:  what is it?  Tortiose?...
Hi Rich,
It be Tortoiseâ,,¢.