News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wheels & Couplers

Started by lightfb2, April 18, 2009, 02:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightfb2

I have recently acquired a Bachmann HO Jupiter locomotive with tender, and I am now attempting to locate rolling stock (stock car, passenger car, gondola, flat car, caboose) to use with that locomotive. If the rolling stock that I locate does not have compatible couplers, is it likely that most such cars would be built so that the couplers can be replaced by another type of coupler? Also, what type of coupler is generally considered to be the most desireable in use today?

Also, in the event that the rolling stock comes with plastic wheels, is most rolling stock manufactured today built so that the plastic wheels can be replaced with metal wheels?

rustyrails

First the rolling stock:  Bachmann has a dandy little bobber caboose that would go with your engine.  The 09 Walthers catalog does not show Bachmann producing any other "old timeer" freight or passenger equipment that I can find.  Mantua (now owned by ?Model Power?) has some 1860's era box cars and passenger cars.  Roundhouse (owned by Athearn) has some nice period passenger cars.  If you buy any cars with plastic wheels, it's very easy to swap wheel sets.

Couplers:  Most of the above mentioned rolling stock will come with knuckle couplers.  What is on your 4-4-0?  If it is a horn-hook coupler, then it needs to be changed to a Kadee.  Check out Kadee's web site (www.kadee.com).  They have two solutions for the Bachmann 4-4-0 depending on the particular tender design you own.  You will have to drill and tap a hole.  Kadee sells a drill and tap set as well as the 2-56 screws you'll need to attach the coupler draft gear box.  Good luck.
P.S.  Forget about putting a coupler on the pilot.  It's just not worth the effort.
Rusty

lightfb2

rustyrails ~ Great Info! Just what I was looking for. Thanks!