4-6-0 Ten Wheeler (Spectrum) minimum radius....

Started by John Murphy, March 27, 2007, 11:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Murphy

4-6-0 w/63" drivers DOES negociate 15" radius curves, though the pilot coupler is parallel with outside rail, which makes double-heading is out. - JM

kevin2083

Maybe if you replaced the stock coupler with a longer one, it would be able to go far enough over to couple well. just a thought...
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

lanny

John (or anybeody),

Having found out that ICRR had some 4-6-0s in a more modern style than the 'Casey Jones', I have ordered a Spec 4-6-0 for an ICRR kit bash project.

Just curious ... your impression of how it runs. I have or have had all of the Spec steam from the 2-10-0 on up to the 4-8-2 Heavy and the 2-6-6-2 (except the 2-10-2) and they have all been smooth runners, though the 2-10-0 and the 2-8-0 don't have the pulling capability of the bigger Specs.

I'm curious what folks think of the 63" driver, high boiler (the undec Spec I ordered) as to running, tracking, pulling, etc.

Thanks!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

John Murphy

Quote from: lanny on March 29, 2007, 07:50:17 PM
John (or anybeody),

Having found out that ICRR had some 4-6-0s in a more modern style than the 'Casey Jones', I have ordered a Spec 4-6-0 for an ICRR kit bash project.

Just curious ... your impression of how it runs. I have or have had all of the Spec steam from the 2-10-0 on up to the 4-8-2 Heavy and the 2-6-6-2 (except the 2-10-2) and they have all been smooth runners, though the 2-10-0 and the 2-8-0 don't have the pulling capability of the bigger Specs.

I'm curious what folks think of the 63" driver, high boiler (the undec Spec I ordered) as to running, tracking, pulling, etc.

Thanks!

lanny nicolet

I can only speak for it on a level, 15" radius, and standard DC track, as I'm still working on my first HO railroad since 1971, but mine pulled three 67' Model Power Harriman heavyweight coaches and a 72' (?) Rivarossi Baggage/RPO combine, but even on straight DC, she starts smoothly and seems happiest at ~ 45-~65 smph.  DCC would undoubtedly enhance performance.  Mine was NYC, w/crisp lettering on both loco and tender (Tender was a larger tender - somewhere between the Baldwin tender and the # 89731 USRA MEDIUM COAL TENDER [The USRA tender is a viable option to a tender upgrade, as could be the Spectrum Vandy Medium tender -- both available as seperate items and are DCC compatible]).  My only complaint is that on straight DC the LED headlight is blue until the loco reaches ~ 75 smph, then it turns blue-white.  My sense is that on DCC, the headlight should be flourescent white --- WHY on earth they used a blue-white LED instead of an amber or yellow color is beyond me.

Hope this helps.  - best, JM

John Murphy

Forgot to mention -- someone on the old forum wrote of leaving his model railroad on when the family went on vacation and a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 and a 4-6-0 running continuously for 8 days and nights over the Holidays and when he came back, both locos were happily running smoothly.  Wish he would repost that post, as it was a real eye-opener.
-- JM

BillD53A

Mine run great, although they are a little light.  They pull 6 or 7 freight cars on my layout, but that is all I want them to do.
Neither the blue, yellow or amber lights are appropriate, but I guess those are the only color options available with LEDs.   I removed the lenses and replaced them with MVProducts lenses.   

rogertra

No, blue, yellow or amber are not the only choices in LED colours theough for steam, yellow IS a ggod choice as steam loco healights were yellow looking.

They a blue because Bachmann in China don't care.  Keep in mind that it seems to Bachmann in China, these are just toy trains, so any old LED will do.

lanny

BillD53A

You mentioned "MV Product" lens. I would like to find lens to fit the various headlights I am changing too as I kit bash my roster into ICRR steam. Could you please let me know (on the forum or by private email) some info about this company and a website if they have one?

I sure would appreciate that.

Thanks!

lanny nicolet

BillD53A

I dont think MV Products has a website; at least I've never seen it.  They are listed in the Walthers catalog 

http://www.walthers.com

I've seen steam in daily use on the PRR, LV, CNJ,and RRRR;  I just saw an operating steam loco a couple weeks ago, but none of them had yellow headlights. 
The blueish looking LEDs are the best I guess, if you use a yellow gel between the LED and the lens , the yellow cancels the blue so it looks white.  I've heard that you can color the LED with a yellow highlighting marker to cancel the blue, but I've never tried it.

brad

Lanny,

Can't speak for the 63" drivered version, but my low boiler 52" driver version will pull 15 cars with no problem. They are probably one of my best running Spectrum engines and for their size, pull a lot.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

BillD53A

Scale Rails Graphics sells LED kits with the yellow gels. 

lanny

Can't speak for the 63" drivered version, but my low boiler 52" driver version will pull 15 cars with no problem. They are probably one of my best running Spectrum engines and for their size, pull a lot.

That is impressive, Brad. If the 63" version can pull even near that many it will be more than enough for my layout!

Thanks!

Also thanks BillD53A. I'll check Walthers.

lanny nicolet

rogertra

Bill.

The steam loco you saw operating a "few weeks ago" probably has a modern sealed beam headlight to meet current regulations.  However, steam in regular operation had a what, 90V DC headlight that was lit with a regular Edison base lamp?  Not a modern sealed beam, so the headlight would not have been a brilliant white but would have had a slight yellow cast to it.

I can't recall the wattage of a steam loco headlight when they were in every day service but I expect it was around 60 to 100 watt max and only running on around 90VDC.

BillD53A

Lets not confuse headlights with the UFOs buzzing around my head

brad

Lanny,

I've always had good luck with pulling large numbers of cars, even the ones others complain about poor pulling performance ie Athearn 2-8-2's, BUT, I go through all my cars before they hit the rails, propper weight, wheels in gauge, coupler heights corrected and I've started running a truck tuner in all my trucks before I put METAL wheel sets in. That alone has made a huge difference and as time permitts wil go back and tune up all my trucks, even the ones that don't seem to need it

My record so far is a triple header of B-mann 2-8-0's pulling 93 cars and a caboose, most were 40 footers, 12 were hoppers and a handfull of 50 footers.... very noisy in the train room ;D

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building