News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Decoders Available?

Started by Allamuchy Joe, April 20, 2009, 01:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allamuchy Joe

I recently have discovered the joy of sound in On30 locomotives. I have purchased the MRC Blackbox, which allows me to hear sound in my locomotives (The only sound loco I have is the PSM Goose).

I currently have tons of Bachmann On30 locomotives that are painted and weathered. I want to upgrade some of those to sound (not all). Does Bachmann sell the plug and play Tsunami decoders for their On30 locomotives? If it can be helped, I was trying to avoid having to solder connectors on the decoders in order to get sound in the locos.

I see that the Pacific Coast Air Line Railway website mentions that he got a decoder from an HO Bachmann 2-8-0. Are those sold separately through Bachmann?

Thanks,
Joe

Tomcat

Hi there Joe,

as far as I know Bachmann does not sell the Sound Decoders separately. You can get them from Blackstone/Soundtraxx and there is some kind of harness you could use on them to connect to the 8pin plug.

There´s another way. Get a ESU Decoder - Loksound they´re called. The ESU people got a solid mass of various sounds. Try this link:

http://www.esu.eu/download/geraeuschdateien/generation-3/loksound-v35/us-sounds/

The ESU decoders already have the 8-pin connector, which means you only would have to plug it in and place the speaker into the casting already provided from Bachmann. It´s really easy, and its fun!

Just in the case you stumble over a German word you can´t understand, please let me know, I´m here to help.

Kind regards, Tom :) :) :)

Chris G

Hey Tom,
I am trying to figure out which Loksound decoders sound best for the 0-4-2 Porter and 2-4-4 Forney.
Any advice will help. I want to stick with Loksound if possible.

thanks,
:)Chris

renniks

Chris,

Suggest that you try the Loksound  0-6-0 and/or 4-4-0.

Joe,

The 2-6-0 does not have an 8 pin socket so must be 'hardwired'.

Eric UK

Allamuchy Joe

Quote from: renniks on April 21, 2009, 07:58:40 AM

Chris,

Suggest that you try the Loksound  0-6-0 and/or 4-4-0.

Joe,

The 2-6-0 does not have an 8 pin socket so must be 'hardwired'.

Eric UK

I actually wanted to add sound to the outside frame 4-4-0 and possibly my 2-8-0.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Joe

Tomcat

Chris,

sorry for my delay, I have been off yesterday.
Have checked this too: The Loksound 82458 or 82461 should match halfway, but be aware, the 0-4-2 Porter means a certain lot of work. A friend of mine has done the conversion with a US-made MRC Sheer Brilliance - which sounds not too bad, though.
Have used them on a 2-6-6-2 Mantua COnversion to On30-they sound not bad...

But the ESU decoders may have much more possibilities-if you go for a N-Scale Decoder which should cover the 0-4-2 Porter´s current, it should be possible to tuck away all the electronics and the Speaker inside the cab (Electronics if you build a little kind of box) and the speaker underneath the cab roof. Be aware-DCC in a Porter means a bit more work... ;)

The Forney, this is a straightforward job-more or less, drop in and plug in+have fun...

The Tsunamis Bachmann uses on the forneys are slightly a bit smaller than the usual ones. Did the conversion with the after marked Tsunami once and had to build a little black cardboard box to hide the purple-colored Tsunami from sight...

Kind regards, Tom :) :) :)

Chris G