News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sluggish Engines

Started by bigbear62040, March 28, 2007, 12:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbear62040

I just recently built a new train board out in my garage and after setting up the EZ-Track the way I want it I tried to run my DCC engines and they were VERY sluggish as if they were not getting enough power. I even switched back to analog and had the same result. The track and Engines (1 analog & 2 dcc) have been is storage for about a year. I wiped off the track and replaced a railroad crossing piece of track with a regular piece of track. Now my analog engine runs fine except at one point in one of the curves the power dips slightly. I haven't tried the DCC engines again yet. Could being in storage for so long affected them? My analog engine started running fine after I made the changes I mentioned and I was using my hand to give it a push when it was having trouble. Could the engines just be stiff?

Virginian

After such a storage time you should always clean and lube engines.
"What could have happened... did."

lanny

Sounds to me like Virginian 'hit the nail on the head'. Specially since all your locomotives seem to act the same way.

I can only address DC/Analog, but the few locomotives that sit on my 'collector shelf' awaiting painting or kit bashing, still get run every month or so, and if necessary, receive 'standard' wheel/driver cleaning using the 'cloth/alcohol on the tracks' method.

I also keep my NS track clean, (both with a 'wiper pad' that is attached to a couple of cars (a version of the 'masonite pad method') constantly rubbing the rail tops that works well, as well as an alcohol rub-down once in awhile). But its amazing even with these methods, how quickly wheels get a bit of 'gunk' build up.

Regarding the 'power dip' you still have on 'one curve' with your DC/Analog locomotive, my 'guess' is that you may have something binding the wheels there? Maybe the track is kinked ever so slightly, or the track is not level?

best wishes on getting everything running well.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

How large is the layout and how many power leads do you have to it?  Where do you now lose power.  Lanny may be right, or you could have a loose connection. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

bigbear62040

Thanks guys. I don't have any cleaning pads but I do have alcohol swabs in my first aid kit. I'll give my tracks a good wipe down.

As to SteamGene's question:  It's just an L shaped (8x8 on the long sides) medium layout. I used EZ-Track.

Jacary27

I have an 8X8 and used many drops along the way.  I use the mrc express and I came off of that with I believe 12 gauge wire all around the bottom of the layout and I dropped down every 5 feet of track or so and connected to the main power line.  Everything runs great.