News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Controlling Track Power

Started by trainman16, April 21, 2009, 04:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman16

My son and I just got into HO scale model railroading.  We have Bachmann EZ track.  We have several track sidings in our layout.  My question is how to control power to each siding separately from the main line or the other sidings.  Do you use plastic insulated rail joiners on each track siding along with some sort of connector controlling the power?  Thanks for any assistance.

Tylerf

Ok so you say you have quite a few sidings, and are youwanting independant power control on the sidings while they are closed or do you jus want the conventional run it onto the siding the throw a switch and the power on it is off and another train can run on the main. If so allyou need to do is isolate with plastic joiners only 1 rail on either end of the siding, then wire a simple switch between the siding rail and the powered main track. Now if you want independent control from 2 or more power packs then just leave out the switch and isolate both tracks on both sides. I wouldn't think of using a seperate power pack on a simple siding but maybe on a branch line or something where switching is required so that can be done while another train runs on main. Then there's DCC:)

rustyrails

With one power pack, all you need to do is turn off the power to a siding just the way you turn off a light.  Put an insulated rail joiner on ONE rail of the siding as near to the turnout as you can.  Run a wire from the main line (the same rail that has the insulated joiner) to one side of a single pole single throw (SPST) electrial switch.  Run another wire from the other side of the SPST switch to the isolated siding rail anywhere past  the insulated joiner.  Turn the spst switch on and you can run a train into the siding.  Turn it off and the train won't move. 

But I can give you better advice than that.  There are a number of excellent books for begining model railroaders.  Kalmbach (the Model Railroader magazine people)  is a prolific publisher of how-to books for everyone from the newby to the accomplished modeler.  Check with your LHS in the book rack.  Welcome to a hobby that has kept me interested for over 50 years.  If you enjoy it half as much as I have, you're going to have a wonderful time.

jward

atlas makes a series of electrical components to do just what you want to do. there is one called the selector, which also has the provision for a second power pack. using the selector, either of the packs can control any track connected to it. the selectors can also be ganged together to control as many tracks as you wish. instructions are included in the package. atlas also has a wiring book for their components which i think does a much better job of explaining wiring a layout than any of the kalmbach books.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman16

Thanks for the great suggestions.  I really do need to get a book about wiring!

jward

wiring a layout is not hard. once you get the hang of it. it is basically the same 3 or 4 circuits repeated over and over.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA