News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

An attaboy and a question

Started by ftauss, April 24, 2009, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftauss

Well I finally sent my older not so good 4-8-4 in and got a new one back. Very impressive, much better. Runs quiet and strong.

On the basis of that I decided to try a Spectrum engine and bought a 4-8-2 Light Mountain.

It's performance puzzles me. I have a test loop of EZ Track set up, I'm using a MRC Locomotion 1500 to drive it which works fine with all other engines. . It seems to run slower than any of my other steamers and the light is yellow rather then white. I know about scale speed and all and I haven't tried to calculate speed yet but it does seem a bit on the slow side. 

I'm letting it run to break it in after applying some grease and oil but is this normal for this engine or do I need to send it in?

Frank

fieromike

I can't speak in specifics here, but the sickly yellow headlight is probably due to Bachmann not yet discovering the 'golden white' led.  My connie runs much slower than several (most) of my other engines, but i consider that as a plus; most N scale engines run waaay too fast.

jwoj69

I agree. I thing Bachmann inthe past could not handle slower speeds. Now it can run with the big dogs, like Kato and Atlas. And i'm not trying to say that they are better. Slower speed makes engines look more to the scale.
4-8-2 is one the best engines, i just like J 4-8-4 better. I both it few Walthers diesel engines, comparing to Lifelike, they are slower also.