RickWillison

I found a Life Like H0 scale loco
It looks like  GP series loco no real Identifiers as to what model
It is a great Northern shell
The bottom of the train simply says Life Like - made in china
The electronics are labeled - 440-X002/1998 07.03 - Has the 8 pin connector
The life like website says it is down and the company was purchased by Bachmann

jerryl

I thought Walthers took over LifeLike a few years ago.    Hope this isn't true. We don't need another company with  Bachmann's reputation for customer service.   Jerry

rustyrails

Walthers took over Life-Like's hobby assets in the summer of 2005.  I don't remember when exactly.  I just remember heaving a huge sigh of relief because the Proto 2000 line woould be saved.  Walthers continues to produce the Life-Like, Proto 2000, Proto 1000 and Heritage lines.  If you check Walthers catalog, all the Life-Like items say something like, "Proto2000 from Walthers" or "Life-Like from Walthers." 
Rusty

richG

"Might" be a little info here.

http://www.hoseeker.net/otherhotrains.html

You can also check at the Trains.com Model Railroder site. There are a lot of model railroaders there.

Rich

RickWillison

You are all correct I made a mistake in my comment it was Wathers not Bachmann
At any cost still connot locate a good wiring diagram right now.

Thanks
Richard Willison

pdlethbridge

If it has the 8 pin connector then it is DCC ready and a fairly new model.
Most diesels I've worked on ( mostly atlas ) have a small board on top that has connections on each end that go to the trucks, wires on the side in the middle come from the brushes of the motor. 2 lights are mounted front and rear to the other 2 posts at the front and back of the board. EREplacement DCC boards are a drop in, but yours has the plug so check with Digitrax or TCS for the proper decoder for that engine.

RickWillison

Yes it has the 8 pin connector but all wires have been disconnected
I will try to wire it the way you describe here

OkieRick

Can you post any pictures?  Google "440-X002" turns up a couple hints of a LifeLike and GP38 or GP38-2.

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

richG

Get a multimeter and ring out the leads using the NMRA DCC standards. Yampa Bob has posted them here. Make a drawing on paper. I suspect the loco has 12 -14 volt lamps, do not know. The meter will also be an asset after soldering to make sure there are no solder bridges between solder points. It will be straight forward. I have done it a few times. Call it a learning experience.
If you buy stuff used, you are liable to get anything.

Rich

Yampa Bob

I haven't posted any typical pinouts for diesels yet, only for the Spectrum 2-8-0 and tenders.

Life-Like has a unique decoder installation procedure for certain diesels. The light board is completely removed, then the DCC socket is inverted to plug in a decoder.

These pages might help: (or not).  :)

http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/Proto%202000%20GP-9/lifelike_proto_2000_gp_9.htm

http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/p2k.html
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

RickWillison

Thanks for all the input
I am picking up my NCE DCC decoder tomorrow
I will let you all know how the install goes
I am a computer tech so I have the multimeter and equpiment needed to do this

Thanks Again
Rick Willison