How to Install DCC Decoder into Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation?

Started by bigdaddy, April 25, 2009, 07:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddy

I need help on how to install a DCC decoder into my Spectrum Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation Sante Fe #2520, beleive DCC Ready

Does anyone have some literature / diagrams?

Thanks in advance

lmackattack

If the loco is DCC ready....remove the tender shell. I think there is one screw that holds in on to the frame?
then you will see a little square tab that is on a 8 pin socket. remove that tab...then install your 8 pin decoder.  simple as that.
some decoders will have a 8 or 9 pin plug you will need an 8 pin plug for this engine

Or if you have a decoder with out any plug you would need to solder the decoder wires to a 8 pin plug but that adds some more complacation if your new to DCC.

Hope this helps
Trent

Chris350

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H114X-IS001.PDF looks like what you want to start with.  Ought to be as easy as Imak described.  I've done a number of DCC installs this past year.  Not this particular engine & tender combo, but if it says DCC ready it is usually very straight forward.
Chris

Yampa Bob

Please refer to the following for more information.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/2-8-0/index.html

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

Be advised that "first release" Bachmann tenders had some problems with the printed circuit board being incorrectly wired and lacking certain critical components. Also, Bachmann brand decoders are designed to be compatible with the noise suppression components on the pc board, other brands of decoders may require clipping capacitors and modifying the pc board.

If you experience any serious problems, you may have to remove the pc board completely and hard wire a decoder. Keep us posted with your progress.

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

bigdaddy

is there a decoder that you would recommend installing into spectrum 2-8-0

i purchased from an individual , dont know if first generation or not
2-8-0 Sante FE Road #2520

HO SANTA FE 2-8-0 Consolidation BACHMANN DCC ready

solly_46@yahoo.com 

Jim Banner

There are many decoders that will work, depending on what you want to do.  If all you want is speed, direction, headlight and back up light, then a low cost decoder like the Digitrax DH123P will get the job done.  If you want to add a few more lights (one in the cab, a couple of inspection lights under the cab,) and have BEMF control (think cruise control to model trains) then you might want to spend a few dollars more for a Digitrax DH 163P.  Digitrax decoders and decoders from many other manufacturers will require snipping out some capacitors.  See Bob's first link (2 posts up.)  If modifying the adapter board does not appeal to you, you can use a Bachmann decoder which will give you speed, direction and lights with no modifications required.

If you want sound as well, then there is a whole new list of decoders to choose from.  Some sound decoders include motor control as well as sound, others do not.  Some can be reloaded with sounds for a different locomotive if you retire your 2-8-0, others cannot.

Bottom line, your choice of decoder depends on what you want your locomotive to do for you, now and for the next five years. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.