News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Magazine subscriptions

Started by jerryl, April 28, 2009, 09:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bevernie

:DGREETINGS!! ???One major question that I have is: Why does MODEL RAILROADER seemingly PUNISH their subscribers by charging them $42.95 to renew, while charging new subscribers only $32.95?? :o
                                                                                                THANX!!
                                                               8)                                 Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Loco Bill Canelos

Ernie,
Excellent point, but you could just drop the subscription and after a month begin again as a new subscriber!!   

It would be better if they gave the same deal to renewers!!

I quit MR over a similar situation about 18 years ago, never went back either, but before that I used the quit for a month trick for a few years.  Some libraries also carry model magazines.   

I get most of what I need online anyway,  thanks to all the online forums out there!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

CNE Runner

I recently took stock of the amount of money I spend on various 'none essential' items. At that time I was receiving 3 model railroad magazines and decided that I was a victim of redundancy. In that regard, I decided to not renew two of the subscriptions and only kept Model Railroader. Reason? MR seemed to give the broadest coverage of our hobby. RMC was a close second...but didn't make the cut. With magazine subscriptions running $40+/year one has to economize somewhere. I, too, have wondered why publishers give deals to new subscribers whilst the rest of us pay dearly.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

boomertom

Over the years, I have subscribed to Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman and through NMRA membership Scale Rails.

If I still maintained subscriptions to each of these, I would be deviating close to $100.00 of hobby funds away from products of actual use on a layout.

I still maintain NMRA membership but witout the magazine option.

The only thing I really miss about the magazines are the ads - great fodder for empire dreams and realities.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

renniks

Quote from: boomertom on May 05, 2009, 12:06:30 AM

The only thing I really miss about the magazines are the ads - great fodder for empire dreams and realities.

Tom

No Subs.
      I buy a single copy of MR or RMC about once a year to keep up with new items and for websites of suppliers and makers(cuts down number of 'bookmarks').  Since I am in On30 I prefer RMC for their greater coverage and also get notice of some new items posted on relevant Yahoo groups.

Eric UK

jerryl

Quote from: Joe Satnik on April 30, 2009, 10:42:48 AM
Jerry,

You took the time and effort to tell us.

Why not tell them?   

Idid tell them, my point was that they never asked.

Jim Banner

Quote from: bevernie on May 03, 2009, 08:33:15 PM
Why does MODEL RAILROADER seemingly PUNISH their subscribers by charging them $42.95 to renew, while charging new subscribers only $32.95??
Ernie
And why don't those attractive introductory rates ever apply north of the border?

Jim
0:4
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richG

Gave up MRR magazine subscriptions some years ago. Do not want my children to find me buried under a pile of old magazines.

Rich

CNE Runner

I also had that problem Rich. I solved it by going through the magazine and cutting out any articles of interest (this was done after the new issue was received). These articles are placed in an accordion folder for future reference. You guessed it: I have tons of articles that I never look at!

Cheers,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richG

Yeah, about the same here. I have cut out articles, scanned them into the PC and then forget I have  some of them, I have so many. Quite labor intensive but when you are retired, it is not a big deal.
It does make it a little easier to find them in the PC though. Much easier to catalog them.

Rich

Yampa Bob

No subs here, and I don't even look for the mags at my LHS. I'm on the mailing list for Athearn, and I get Bachmann information here, that's all I need.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

I subscibe to the magazines for the ads. The pricing in the ads is more up  to date than the websites, which don't get updated very often
Don

jerryl

Just got my MAY RMC today....looks like they are on the road to recovery...Jerry

Santa Fe buff

I've recently received the June issue of Model Railroader. I'm quite impressed, they have very good information, but they cut down on the Information Desk and Workshop article space to allow more information be published discussing the On3 layout, Night-Time operations/wiring, and don't forget my favorite article I'm in the process of reading... The ATSF GP7u. Very impressive models that are modeled in the article. I love MR, but I also see your guy's perspective on the not-so-good side...

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

ScottyB

The only two magazines I subscribe to anymore are RMC and the Narrow Gauge Gazette (which in my opinion is the best train mag out there regardless of if you model narrow gauge or not.)

The others just seemed to have the same or similar content over and over and over.  RMC and NGG have numerous articles which go into nice detail without spanning 6 issues to cover the whole topic.

As far as magazine prices, there are a handful of internet sites that sell MR and RMC at a substantial discount - I've never had an issue renewing online.  Quick search (google: magazine price search) turns up both MR and RMC for about 40% off list.  The Gazette you can only subscribe direct, but it's worth it.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.