News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder burnout?

Started by WoundedBear, March 29, 2007, 12:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

There I was....hapilly running my HO Shay and Climax.......consisted on address 6 of my EZC.....everything running fine......3% grade and 6 cars......all looks good.

On a straight run the Shay quit. Lights out, fire box LED dead, everything. Climax still running on addy 6.

Re-address Climax back to 2....no trouble...hit 6....no response from Shay.....try default addy 3.....nada.

Hooked up DC power.....Shay has lights but doesn't move. This Shay BTW is less than a week old....mailed warranty card yesterday. Both units have Bachmann decoders that I installed, and up until this moment hadn't given me any trouble.

Any how.....Shay on DC doesn't move.....check Climax on DC......off she goes just fine.....put Shay back on track....light but no movement.....thought stuck brush.....gave her a flick on the side of the boiler with my finger and off she goes.

Ten minutes of running on DC and this thing is acting fine.......try DCC again....nada.

Tear open tender.....replace decoder with another Bachmann....off we go.....all is fine.

Did I blow a decoder or has it just lost it's "memory"? Is there any way to save it or is it trash? EZC doesn't seem to have a "reset to default" feature.

Sid

SteamGene

You should be able to get a replacement decoder I think. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Seasaltchap

Agreed: I was surprised the other day to be told that the TCS "No-Quibble" guaranty was being adopted by other decoder makers.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

WoundedBear

I called Bachmann's 1-800 line today......got put through to a gentleman in parts....Tim? Jim?...man I'm bad with names......anyhow, he listened to my tale and without a blink, he offered to send a new decoder. Doesn't want the old one back...nothing.

Perfect!!

If this is an example of Bachmann's customer service, then I think I chose a good product. Hat's off to you!!

Sid

Hunt

QuoteDid I blow a decoder or has it just lost it's "memory"? Is there any way to save it or is it trash?
Sid
To find out ---- start with a CV reset to their factory set value. To reset the CVs on a Bachmann decoder, write a value of 8 to CV8 using a unit capable of programming the decoder's CVs.