News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Older 44 ton switchers

Started by kevin2083, March 29, 2007, 06:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2083

I was wondering if the older 44 ton switchers (with two motors) are able to be converted to dcc and if they run well. It would seem as if there would not be enough room for a decoder. I'm thinking about buying one and would like to know if I should get one of the older ones or just go ahead and get a new one instead.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Nigel

The newer (no several years old) single motor models run better, and are not difficult to convert to DCC; if you have good soldering skills.

The two motor units are very difficult, though not impossible to convert.  Google, and you will find some information on doing the conversion.  IT should be more than enough to convince you to go with the single motor version, even if the two motor model is free.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

r.cprmier

OUt of curiosity, would it be possible to convert a Keystone 44-ton locomotive to DCC?  I have one I built some years back, it runs really smooth, and I may just keep it on the test track in the basement if it has to stay DC. 

When I was a kid living in Braintree, Mass, the Fore River spur was just up the road from where I lived, running off of the Old Colony line to Greenbush; and Fore River Shipyard had one or two of these diminutive beauties.  I use to like to watch them set out scrap cars and pick up materiel cars destined for the shipyard.
A part of their spur was this longish trestle that ran past Allen Pond.  This was a really neat structure, but they filled it in after the flood of 55.  Someting about that pastoral scene has always stayed with me-I guess the security of childhood in the fifties.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

RAM

I think it is possible to convert  any locomotive to DCC If you really want to do it.

Tim

Rich

"TCS" Train Control Systems, makes decoders that will fit in the
Keystone 44 ton'r.  The keystone loco has a "NWSL" drive, a very
precision drive, probable the best drive ever put in an H0 44 ton'r.

Just make sure the motor brushes are isolated from the frame.

Go for the DCC.

Tim Anders
Souderton, Pa

lanny

Kevin,

One word of caution about the 'old style' Bachmann 44 tonners with two motors. This has nothing to do with DCC which I know little about ... however, I think it is an issue you may want to consider.

I found out the hard way (twice :-) , that many of the old style 2 motor Spec 44 tonners have split wheel axel gears. I called Bachmann, talked to Bridget, and was told that Bachmann does not any longer carry replacement parts for those split gears.

I know there are a lot of them up for auction on eBay advertised as new, and I don't question that they are, but as one 'collector' of 44 tonners who has a lot of Bachmann Spec two motor, old style 44 tonners mentioned; his personal expericence is that he has yet to find a 'new' old style that does not have split axel gears.

You probably can regear with NWSL ... I didn't want to go that route. I followed Mr. Bach Man's advice regarding many On3 (On2?) modelers who are looking for these motors and drives (as well as those who model electrified box motors in HO). I sold the motor wheel axel sets, listed as 'new motors' (which they were) explaining that all wheel axel gears were split. I also sold the undecorated (gray shell) seperately. I was pleasantly surprised at the eBay prices I received for them.

(I do wish Bachmann would make a 'gray' undec 44 tonner shell available with their current series of 44 tonners.)

If gearing isn't a problem (or if you can install NWSL gears, and you need the double motor chassis for some reason, you may want to call Tony's Train Exchange to get some infor about converting these units to DCC.

hope it works for you.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Paul C.

The October 1997 Model Railroading magazine has an article about installing DCC in a two motor 44 Ton. They used a Lenz LE030 but recommended a Digitrax DZ120 be used as it has more speed steps.
Paul C.

r.cprmier

Tim;
I also have a couple of Keystone shays with the NWSL setups-just a-waitin' on me to get up off of my duff and git'r done. 
You are really correct when you said that that 44-tonner is the smoothest drive to have come down the pike.  She's a real honey!  I wish that Keystone would come out with that engine again, so that other, newer modellers can see what a class act really is!

Rich
Rich

bigfrankt

Northwest Short Line offers replacement geared wheelsets for the 44 Ton switcher. P/N 2695-6 for RP-25 (0.110" wide tread) and 2696-6 for 0.88" wide tread.

Jim Banner

I have one of the old two motor 44 tonners sitting waiting for conversion.  I expect the gears are split, even though I have yet to open it up.  The solution I use is to put a thin brass band around the outside to keep the gap closed up, then crazy glue the axle in place.  Of course, this means gauging the wheels in the short working time available with crazy glue.

Some of these seem to run fine with the two motors wired in parallel.  In others, the two motors seem to fight.  If this one falls into the latter category, I am going to use two decoders, either the Digitrax DZ123 or the even smaller DZ125.  I may have to use some sort of dummy axle in order to speed curve the two motors independently, I don't know yet.  But that is one way on getting two motors to play nice with one another.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r.cprmier

Jim;
as long as the CVs match up, as in two units in consist.  I wonder how just wiring the motors in series and using a decoder rated for that kind of load would weather.  UNless the motors were mismatched RPM-wise in the first place, the only concern is if the motor wiring would handle that setup; and of course, the heat factor of those two motors now trying in series, to develop torque in tandem.
Rich

Jim Banner

Rich, the only problem I can see with putting the two motors in series is that if each one needs 12 volts to reach full speed, then the two in series would require 24 volts.  But series connection would certainly ensure that they both pass the same current, which would pretty well ensure that they produced the same torque.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r.cprmier

Jim;
Yep.  The one consideration here would be that a switcher probably would never be required to run at any significant speed, as switching is generally done at less than ten MPH.  All things considered, torque usually wouldn't be any issue of consequence. 
Rich