Williams Dash 9 lights are very dim.

Started by jond_2002, May 05, 2009, 01:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jond_2002

I just recently purchased a Williams Dash 9 Norfolk Southern diesel,I am using a Atlas 80 watt transformer which runs the locomotive very well, I don't like to run my trains to fast because I like to enjoy watching them in every detail, the bell works great as well as the horn, but the lights in the cab as well as the dual lights are very dim unless I crank up the speed, is this normal or do I have to make a transformer change to a higher wattage or does my locomotive have a defect of some sort? please note my other diesel engines do not perform in this manner, Thank You !    Jon.

3rail

Hi Jon,

They are 12 volt light bulbs. They will be dim at low voltages.  If you are running at very slow speeds all the time, you could use a lower voltage bulb maybe 9 to 10 volts. 

There are also LED upgrades available from outside sources here are two that I know of.  I have not used either so I cannot make a recommendation.

Evans Designs

Scott's Odds n Ends

Regards,
3rail

DominicMazoch

The Scott products work.  Stay at same brightness at 9 V. +.  Two tyese of "color":  Cool blue and wrm yellow.  Blue looks like the headlights on model engines, yellow like the present bulbs.

Ron Sims

I switched my F3 and F7 diesels over to a 6-8 volt light bulb. Williams engines generally run at 6.5 to 7.5 volts(with factory wiring), even at a good clip. I have not had any of them burn out yet.
Ron

mike d

If this is your only Williams loco and your comparing it to loco's by other manufacturers, the others that replied are more than likely correct. The bulbs will appear dim at low voltages.

If you think you have a problem check the wiring. I had this problem on one of my U-boats. The front light was much dimmer than the light at the rear. I had a broken wire inside of the heatshrink where it terminates at the base of the motor mount. I reterminated the wires and the light works fine now.

Joe Satnik

All good suggestions above. 

I've seen bulbs where the filament has boiled off and coated the inside of the glass dome, drastically reducing light output. 

A fresh clean bulb of the same type (voltage) might work wonders.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.