New style sets with Davenport 1:20.3 switcher hidden under the radar!!

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, May 05, 2009, 03:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

I had planned to feature these next week but Cale's earlier post about the new Bachmann Starter sets prompts me to make a more detailed report   These sets are very different than the usual run of sets in the past.  They are the first to feature a gas mechanical locomotive, or a 1:20.3 item.   They are a super value for the price and sure to be a hit with those who have yet to buy the Davenport and must have one.  It will be almost like buying the loco and getting everything else free.   

This will be a must for those with mining or logging as their theme or for those wanting to add the theme.

90070 The Prospector 
0-4-0 Yellow Davenport Gas Mechanical loco and 4 side dump ore cars 14 pieces of track power pack w/ speed controller & DVD instructions.

90071 Lumberjack
0-4-0 Green Davenport Gas Mechanical loco,  2 skeleton log cars, and a logging caboose 14 pieces of track, power pack w/ speed controller & DVD instructions.

Do not confuse the set names with the earlier sets of the same name!!  Bachmann has managed to muck up the situation by repeating the earler set names.  Be sure to look up the new sets by the Bachmann number, rather than the set name to be sure you are looking at the newer sets!!

The Bachaman 2009 catalog has pictures of these sets.  You can download the catalog at http://www.williamstrains.com/2009/2009_bachmann.pdf   

It takes a while for the file to download and may be really long unless you have high speed service, or check out Cale's post & link to Tower Hobbies for pictures.

The Trainworld price is $159.99 These are a steal at this price just $10 bucks above the cost of the locomotive alone. 

The only Question, as usual,  is when will they be available??   Bach man what say you!!

Cheers
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

the Bach-man

samevans

Are there drawings and photos of the actual Davenport from which the model was made?  It is a bit difficult to gauge size from the photos of the model.

Sam E

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Sam,

Try this website.  http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWXP9&P=7

It pictures the Davenport with then mine cars anf skeketon log cars, and should give you a better idea of the size!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

samevans

Thanks.  I was hoping for pix plans so that I could do a little detailing?  Any ideas Mr Bachmann?

Sam E

samevans

Quote from: samevans on May 21, 2009, 10:28:27 AM
Thanks.  I was hoping for pix plans so that I could do a little detailing?  Any ideas Mr Bachmann?

Sam E

Oh Mr Bachman, yoohoo, any ideas on plans/pix of actual Davenport modelled ? 

Ta

Sam E

the Bach-man

Hi, Sam,
The pictures are in Volume 2 of a series of softbound books called _Critters__.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

samevans

Quote from: the Bach-man on May 30, 2009, 10:45:34 PM
Hi, Sam,
The pictures are in Volume 2 of a series of softbound books called _Critters__.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Thank you very much

Sam E

Larry Green

samevans

Quote from: Larry Green on May 31, 2009, 01:43:14 PM
I got my set of the Critters books from Ron's Books.

Larry

I can get them OK here in the UK but at a price and in these austere times I want to know what I am paying for!  I believe that the Davenport was built for the Carmen Centrale sugar mill, Costa Rica.  The mill closed in 1945.

Sam e

Loco Bill

There may be some good stuff on the internet.

I got lots of hits when I googled them.  Here is one sample:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel97.html

Good luck & have fun!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

samevans

Quote from: Loco Bill on June 01, 2009, 03:12:39 PM
There may be some good stuff on the internet.

I got lots of hits when I googled them.  Here is one sample:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel97.html

Good luck & have fun!!

Alas but not the loco I am looking for.  Have seen this page several times before.

Sam E

Larry Green

On page 15 of Critters II--

Carmen Centrale, Vega Alta, Diesel Mechanical Locomotive, 10 tons, 50 cm (typo?) gauge, Cummins H.B. 600 engine, type 0-4-0, #3 (?).

Except for not having a headlight, but  having a couple of additional vertical grabirons on the radiator, it looks to be the Bachmann version.

Larry

Larry Green

Sam, the book is not worth buying just for the photo. Also, the specification sheets do not show specifics of this particular model locomotive.

I can send you an enlargement of the photo, but it will not tell you much as it is very dark.

Larry

samevans

Quote from: Larry Green on June 01, 2009, 06:16:38 PM
Sam, the book is not worth buying just for the photo. Also, the specification sheets do not show specifics of this particular model locomotive.

I can send you an enlargement of the photo, but it will not tell you much as it is very dark.

Larry

Please.  sam.c.evans@lineone.net

It is possible the gauge is correct.  I believe some of the US copper mine railways were less thatn 2 ft, and in France 500mm (50cm) ga was used as a sub 60cm industrial railway gauge.  It does seem a mite small for a sugar railway - Australia had many miles of 60cm cane railways.

Sam E