Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Isolating a siding

Started by Billm10454, May 08, 2009, 12:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billm10454

I want to isolate a siding. Do I have to isolate both rails or just one. Thanks

hobo1

both - use atlas insulating rail joiner clips . I use toggle switches to control power to my sidings- hope this helps   hobo

rustyrails

Billm,
If all you want to do is make the siding dead so you can park a locomotive on it, you can just cut one rail.  You can control it with an SPST toggle switch from an electronics store or an Atlas Connector from your LHS.  You might even be able to find an old knife switch someplace which will give your layout something of a Frankenstein's Monster look.  Hope this helps.
Jim

ebtnut

If it is a stub end siding, then just cutting one rail will do and use the simple on-off switch.  If it is a passing siding, then you will need to gap both rails at both ends and use a double-pole, single-throw toggle switch.

rustyrails

Actually, even if it is a double ended siding, you need only gap one rail, but you do have to gap both ends of the rail.  Atlas has an excellent line of products that facilitate wiring your layout using a system called "common rail."  Any of the Atlas track plan books explain the system, as does the Atlas wiring book.  Works like a champ for dual cab control. 

Rusty

Jim Banner

There are a few places where you will have to gap both rails at both ends of a siding.  One example is a siding (or elongated crossover if you prefer) between an eastbound and a westbound track.  Such a track will require more than just an on/off switch - it will require something like a Double Pole Double Throw Center Off toggle switch so that you can match the polarity of your siding to either the eastbound or the westbound track or disconnect it from both tracks.  But in most cases it is a Rusty said - you need to gap only one rail.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

RAM

On a stub siding, if you are using a power routing turnout, than you don't need a gap.

Billm10454

Thanks for all the replies.