News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My new plans

Started by Daylight4449, May 09, 2009, 10:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

a small edge wall of plexiglass solves that problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

cement floors and trains are not a goob combination.

Guilford Guy

Still, its a good idea to leave 4" of space between the track center, and edge of layout.
Alex

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Guilford Guy on May 13, 2009, 11:29:08 PM
Still, its a good idea to leave 4" of space between the track center, and edge of layout.

This layout has rails adjacent to the edges of the layout on three sides, just asking for trouble. The rails are so close that you could not mount plexi guards on the edges of the layout. As mentioned just asking-waiting  for expensive derailments.........
Pacific Northern

jward

look closely at the plan. the part numbers are for atlas's roadbed style track. if the roadbed doesn't hang over the edge of the layout, there is enough room for an edge board. i should know, i've been building layouts for over 30 years.

one thing, given that the layout is designed for roadbed type track. using another library in the right track software, say the code 83 library, will allow you to get closer track centers, and at least in the yard areas you will have more room. if you do redraw the plan using another library, substitute #4 switches for the ones you currently have.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Yampa Bob

To maximize yard space on my small layout, I used all Atlas Snap Switches.  The new design has a straight section after the frog, just like the numbered turnouts.

The new Snap Switches are very close to a true #4, the straight section allows direct connection of two turnouts with no S curve, and closer track spacing. Since the new design was released, there is no longer any advantage in using code 83, other than the more to scale appearance.

As for space from the track to the table edge, as long as the loco and cars will clear the railing exiting from the curve, any edge railing will work. I use anodized aluminum stair nose molding, which provides a one inch high rail.   
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

renniks

Daylight,

As noted by others, you have drawn plan using True-Track. Are you actually going to use this system?
    At top left there is no LH turnout on inner loop to connect to that on outer loop to form a second crossover.  Using two LH crossovers you can only cross between loops in one direction of travel and to cross back you must reverse direction and back over a crossover.
    To cross back and forth between loops you need a LH and a RH crossover.

Eric UK

Daylight4449

Did not fit, I tried to but it didn't work, also the edge board will be bolted to the side and I will be using ez track.

Santa Fe buff

Wow, some layout! I'm not adding anything more than what has been said, since it's already posted.

What industries are you planning? MR had an article on wiring multiple switch motors together, you may want to revise that article. It was featured in the May 2009 issue, if I'm not mistaken.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Daylight4449

Coal, grain, meats,wood , and general goods

specking of switches can bachmann controllers be replaced with dpdt momentary switches hardwired to the switch machine

renniks

Have drawn main loops using E-Z track.  All turnouts are remotes.

Hope this helps.

Eric uk

Daylight4449

i do't use 22 inch in my plans

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Daylight4449 on May 17, 2009, 04:51:14 PM
i do't use 22 inch in my plans
Why not? Trains will track better, and look better on wider radii.
Alex

Daylight4449

those crossovers also cost a fortune.

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer