Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single chuff (redux)

Started by SteamGene, February 04, 2007, 06:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

The benchwork is almost complete.  I have three areas to tie together everything.  I'm down to one folding table and I need to fold up the saw horses and figure out where I can place the table saw - it may have to go on the patio and get covered with a tarp. 
Suddenly, I have a couple of guys volunteering to help.   :D

Gene
(still trying to figure out how to add a signature block)
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Mike O.

(still trying to figure out how to add a signature block)

Gene,
While logged in, click the Profile button at the top of the page (home, help, search, PROFILE, logout).

On that page, there's a menu at the left with 3 main headings.  Under 'Modify Profile', choose 'Forum Profile Information'.  Near the bottom of that page, you'll find the Signature box to create your signature.  When done, make sure to click the 'change profile' button so it updates and saves your signature.
"This is such a good fit, it's practically a convulsion!" -  The Aardvark

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Testing out my 'signature' to see if I got it added correctly.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

I obviously had it and didn't look low enough.  I also need to remember to add my name.  :o

Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Hoople

Gene, I just have to say this...

Jopurney?

Sorry, but your always critisizing everyone elses spelling, which is a good thing, because it is good to learn from mistakes. Even spelling or grammer mistakes.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

BIG BEAR

There is a large space before the signature. That tiny print doesn't
help matters either.
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

SteamGene

A club member who is active Air National Guard came over and we put riser supports in seven tables.  He's off again tomorrow and will come over after I get off subbing for another couple of hours of work.  I installed a new blade (Lowe's had it half off) in the table saw and sawing is suddenly a lot easier.  Now I have to get the old blade to my daughter-in-law's dad, who has a tool sharpening business.
It sounds like I may have several guys on Saturday.  At this rate, I'll have track being laid before the end of the month. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Gene,

You may have mentioned this already, but I'm interested, so will ask again. Are you hand laying track, using 3 ft flex track or what? Also, which code, 70, 83 or 100?

Sounds like things are moving real well for your layout. Keep it up!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Code 100 flex track.  Since the layout is a fictional semi-C&O it uses the heavy rail favored by C&O.  I may well use code 83 for sidings, or some sidings. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

I could actually lay some track tomorrow.  OTOH, it is the industrial area and I probably really should use code 83 for that and I don't have any.  Come to think of it, I don't have any rail nails, either.  But maybe I can lay out the track and turnouts and get the code 83 and track nails Monday. 
I had some help from a church friend who cares nothing about model trains, but loves woodwork.   He brought along his C&O H-8 version of a cordless drill and didn't chuckle about my two, one a Consolidation, the other maybe a USRA light Mikado.  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

Right, Hunt.  I'm hoping I will have two guys to help with the wiring.  One is a DCC expert and the other is a fair electrician (model railroad variety.) 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

First track laid.  Unprototypically, the first rails are for two industrial sidings with a #6 right hand switch.  Since these are sidings, they are laid directly on the foam, liquid nailed to the sub roadbed.  I'm thinking that gluing the track down before ballasting might be a good idea.  This is code 83 and the spikes don't seem to give as firm a grip as I would like.  Comments?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ddellacca

Gene,

If you are spiking into foam, the spikes simply will not hold.
If laying track (ties) directly on foam, you must glue for stabilty's sake.

Dick