Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Who's Buying?

Started by jerryl, May 10, 2009, 10:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

A lot of brass and even plastic kits (walthers ) are pay in advance

CNE Runner

I also lament the [apparent] demise of the rolling stock kit. It used to be that MDC/Roundhouse sold lots of 36' box car and reefer kits AND offered them in undecorated form. Today those same kits bring premium prices on eBay or at train shows. Why did Roundhouse decided to cease production of their kits and go RTR? I suspect that is where the market went. Why are large and expensive locomotives produced? Because the set up and tooling costs about the same for a 4-4-0 as it is for a Challenger...but the profit/sales are so much more. Simply put: Manufacturers will produce what the public will buy...and the public is buying RTR cars and expensive locomotives.

Regarding my layout: I guess I am lucky by modeling a 19th century branchline that owned numerous 4-4-0s over the years and only deviated from that norm with one 2-6-0 and (near the end of the line's existence) a 4-4-2. In its 25-year existence, the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut owned 16 engines (many were "inherited" from earlier - bankrupted - lines). Out of this number 11 were 4-4-0s, 2 were 2-4-4-Ts, 1 was a 2-6-0 and 1 was a 4-4-2. The N.D.& C probably only ran two or three locomotives at any one time. My current layout has two Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0s and the management would add a Mogul if Bachmann would produce one. That not being the case, the N.D.& C. will operate with the two Americans I mentioned for the foreseeable future.

The point I am trying to make is, given the state of my personal economy (retired w/pension + SS), I have all the locomotives I can afford. Going further, I have cut back drastically on hobby expenditures. Gone are the $175 craftsman structure kits, the 50+ nineteenth century cars on the shelf are plenty for anyone, the 12'x30" shelf layout is all I can afford (now if I would only finish it). My task, in 2009, is to work on (and operate) the layout I have. I guess I am taking a big step BACK from the hobby. Maybe it is time we all economized?

Are these the times that try men's souls?
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Woody Elmore

I'll bet that MR and RMC are shrinking for two reasons - readership is down and the price of paper is very high. Many big papers like the NY Times are in serious trouble because of a decline in readers. The cost of paper is ridiculous. I chose a text book for one of my college classes and was going to order it until I saw a $140 price tag!

As for the price of trains, I remember paying $1.59 for an Athearn double door 50 foot boxcar kit (lettered for SP) when I was in high school; even the trucks had to be assembled (with a little rubber thing replacing the springs!) Today's model railroaders don't want to fuss around with kits; they want instant gratification and why not? For what you pay for some HO rolling stock it should put itself on the rails!

Kadee box car prices take my breath away. People today want cars that come out of the box and go on the rails without so much as tweaking the couplers. There must be buyers out there or they wouldn't sell the stuff.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Maybe it's a chicken-or-egg question, but I still would find it fascinating to know which came first, the manufacturers started making more ready-to-run stuff (because they could increase their profit margin?), and consumers started buying, or did consumers stop buying kits (because the pace of modern life has picked up to the point that a lot of people who like trains don't even want to invest the time in a screw-driver kit, let alone a craftsman kit), so manufacturers switched over to ready-to-run?  ???

jerryl

It's interesting that this post evolved into a Kit vs RTR debate.
So I'll put my 2cents in (all I have left after visiting the train store)
  I'm an old timer & I always thought of assembling kits or scratchbuilding as part of the hobby, not a necessary evil. It's a shame that this part of the hobby has gone by the wayside. Alot of the Athearn RTR cars are actually former Roundhouse kits.  They add metal wheels & plastic knuckle couplers & raise the price 100 to 200%.  I throw the plastic couplers away, so I'm supposed to pay $8 to $10 for someone to assemble a 15min. kit. Even the structures are going that way & we even have snap together track with ballast.  Looks like we are heading to a scale Thomas layout.  Jerry

wade

Maybe the bad economy will bring back kits. My favorite kits are Red Caboose, followed by Protos and then Intermountain. They were 10$ on sale and the detail was either perfect or alterable to be perfect with little effort. My dealer told me 10 years ago or so that the kits weren't selling. I bought what I could then and now I scavenge trainshows for them. Also I have been adding details to old AHM,Bachmann,Roco and other less detailed model freight cars.
Wade
Wade

jerryl

A really neat detail item to add to freight cars is the Kadee roof walks. Really make a world of difference. They are extremely thin, have the side extentions attached & free standing roof grabs attached. Only problem is getting the mounting holes in the right place. Add these walks & wire grab irons & you have made "a silk purse out of a sows ear"   so to speak

jettrainfan

You know what i call outrageous? this! http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mar/mar37993.htm  what is so special!?!?!?! ??? >:( when at train world you can get a better model at train world for $300! What were they thinking ???.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Yampa Bob

Don Tichy has kits and detail parts, including roof walks and ladders. You can download his complete catalog.

http://www.tichytraingroup.com/
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

One can buy a BLI brass hybrid New Haven 4-6-4 for $330 or pay $1300 for it with a display case in which the engine can be run.   ::)

CNE Runner

Thanks Bob for the link. I am looking for round-topped windows for my Hopewell Junction (NY) scratchbuilding project and have come up dry. Perhaps Tichey's windows will fill the bill...I'll check another day.

$1,100 for an HO locomotive is another sad indicator of where our priorities have gone. The economy is in recession, people are losing their homes, and some manufacturer still thinks he can get an outrageous price for a toy. Face it people...they are toys (unless your trains haul paying freight for some very small people). Sure model railroading is a great hobby - and the realism of some products is unbelievable. Our hobby goes a long way in helping us cope with life's stress. I know, I know...we operate our trains (which is just a euphemism for playing with them...be an adult and admit it). On the other hand, that $1,100 locomotive will be bought by someone who is in a much higher socioeconomic place than I.

Now if you'll excuse me I am going to go play with my trains and pretend I am in the 19th century...it sure feels good to finally admit that in public.

Cheers,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

"Hello everyone, I'm a trainaholic, will someone please help me?"   :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

CG04

Hey Bob,

Sounds to me like you need your trip to Caboose Hobbies a little early this month.

Clif

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on May 13, 2009, 10:46:53 AM
$1,100 for an HO locomotive is another sad indicator of where our priorities have gone. The economy is in recession, people are losing their homes, and some manufacturer still thinks he can get an outrageous price for a toy. Face it people...they are toys (unless your trains haul paying freight for some very small people). Sure model railroading is a great hobby - and the realism of some products is unbelievable. Our hobby goes a long way in helping us cope with life's stress. I know, I know...we operate our trains (which is just a euphemism for playing with them...be an adult and admit it). On the other hand, that $1,100 locomotive will be bought by someone who is in a much higher socioeconomic place than I.

Now if you'll excuse me I am going to go play with my trains and pretend I am in the 19th century...it sure feels good to finally admit that in public.

Cheers,
Ray

I'm with you, Ray. Thanks for having the guts to say that out loud.

And I'm sure you intended no offense to the real artists and craftsmen and -women in the hobby. Nor do I.

When you talk about prices like $1100 for an HO-scale locomotive, I'm suddenly remembering the old saying about the difference between men and boys being the price of their toys.  ;D

bevernie

;DGREETINGS!! ???$1100.00 does seem a bit expensive!! :DShucks!! On my budget, even $100.00 seems expensive!! It has to really be something for me to spend that much!! :o
                                                                                      THANX!!
                                                     8)                                Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com