News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Heavyweights history / design??

Started by wjstix, May 12, 2009, 02:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjstix

Hi, somehow an argument came up recently with someone saying the Spectrum heavyweight HO cars were built for Bachmann by Rivarossi, or somehow were copies the AHM/Rivarossi design. I don't see much resemblence myself.... ::)

I thought when the heavyweights were introduced about 20 years ago that the ads and reviews said that they were new cars based on Pennsylvania RR cars (to go along with the then-new Spectrum K4 Pennsy Pacific)?? Plus I think they're made in China for Bachmann, not in Italy by Rivarossi??  ???

Bill Baker

I don't know the specific answer for your question, but I have both the Spectrum and Rivarossi heavy weights and their chassis are not interchangeable.
Bill

rustyrails

There are many differences between the two.  Rivarossi passenger cars all have truck mounted couplers, for example, and have "Made in Italy" molded into the car floor.   I have a set of Bachmann heavyweights I bought maybe 15 years or so ago, and they're made in Hong Kong according to the box.  Hong Kong is now a part of China and some I bought more recently say "Made in China."  Just because two models are models of the same thing doesn't mean they are copies of each other.
Rusty 

wjstix

Ya I don't see much resemblence myself, they're clearly different in many ways. Apparently the fellow arguing they were the same noticed that the cars both had roof / window glazing assembly was the same or similar. But then with a lot of diesel models you have to remove the coupler box screws to remove the chassis, that doesn't mean they were all made by the same manufacturer!!  ;D

Guilford Guy

The detail on Bachmann's are far superior. The Rivarossi/AHM/IHC cars have very coarse detail, and no separate parts other than the diaphragms
Alex

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Our cars were, if I remember correctly, based on Bethlehem Steel prototypes, specifically PRR pre and post-war. The only thing they share with the AHM cars is the ability to transport really little people.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Chris350

Quote from: the Bach-man on May 12, 2009, 09:47:16 PM
.... The only thing they share with the AHM cars is the ability to transport really little people.
Have fun!
Awsome...

Guilford Guy

Dear All,
Our cars were, if I remember correctly, based on Bethlehem Steel prototypes, specifically PRR pre and post-war. The only thing they share with the AHM cars is the ability to transport really little people.
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Fun!
When do our HO Scale commuters get their own little train. Mine are a bit bummed at having to pay for first class ticks...  :)
Alex

wjstix

Dear All,
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Thanks Bach-man!!  ;D

Pacific Northern

By coincidence these same subject is being discussed on the Atlas Forum. The conversation is quite revealing as to the similarity's or in some cases the differences between the various manufactures of heavyweight cars.  A most lively discusion.
Pacific Northern