News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Justice done

Started by SteamGene, May 17, 2009, 02:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

The thief who stole a half mile of East Broad Top track has been convicted.  Darrell Lee Denton was convicted of two charges and sentenced to 12 to 36 months for one and 9 to 12 months for the other and fined $44,000 for one charge and $10,475.22 for the other.  Apparently the rail was valued at $77,000.  Most of the rail was recovered, but had been cut up for easier transport, making it impossible to relay that section of track.  Anybody know where there is some 85 pound rail lying around? 
His lawyer has asked for a reduction in his sentence because he's a first time offender.  Of course there is the matter of the stolen car he was driving when arrested in Nebraska....
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Guilford Guy

That's a shame, but atleast they caught him. I think the state of Vermont has some 85 pound rail, from when they pulled up the Lamoille Valley. I know some of it went to the WWF 2 footer.
Alex

Paul W.

Theft, I cant's stand it  >:(    Even at your house, you try and have something nice and you have to worry about someone taking it. I've been on the recieving end of theft, and it's like being violated.
The EBT is a wonderful RR, and a true piece of history. Now that this "trash" has been convicted, and the EBT has the rail back, maybe they can make the best out of a bad situation.
True, the rail was cut, so it's now not usable as future rail use, but maybe they could take the cut pieces and sell them as a fund raiser like they did with the coal from a couple years ago. They sent a letter verifiying the coal and where it was from, I've made a display box with the coal, letter and a EBT herald. Shipping would cost a bit, but hey, if you were already there, nice reminder of your visit.

At least he was caught and is going to pay his dues.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

jward

hmmmm. sentence too lenient? i'd have sentenced him to relay that track by himself, at his own expense......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

Can someone sentence , Hurricane Ike . For stealing our beautiful Train Museum in Galveston...

taz-of-boyds

Another example of a stupid "justice system" the only justice is if EBT is returned to their original condition at the thief's expense!
Charles

Atlantic Central

Gee, when I expressed the same out rage, admittedly a little more forcefully, I was censored, but that's OK.

Sheldon

pcctrolleyII

I agree the sentence was to light i also think he should hve laid the tack byhi self with no modern stuff just n ols fasion hammer.
PCC trolleys for life.

mudzuks

First time offense?... I think not, only a brazen criminal would have the guts to pull off something like that. more like the first time caught.

Jeff